By Shauna Berglund-Immel
to view large image
- Place the card with the fold on the left and cut 1" off the bottom of the card, leaving a 5"x5 1/2" card; set the 1" strip aside for use in step 4. Cover the card front with blue/brown diamonds paper and ink the edges black.
- Cut out the quote in a strip and ink the edges. Glue the quote across the card front at an angle (about 1/4" to 5/8" from the bottom edge), then trim the excess even with the edges of the card. Use a black pen to add faux-stitching penwork along the long edges of the quote. Cut a 1 1/4"x1 1/8" rectangle of teal textured paper and ink the edges. Glue the paper over the light grey “thank you” rectangle printed on the card quote. Cut out the “thanks” artwork and add a teal mini brad to the top. Use foam tape to secure the artwork centered on the teal textured paper piece.
- Line the back of the card with teal textured paper. Trim the paper even with the left, right and bottom edges of the card, but leave an extra 1 1/2" of paper along the top edge. Round the top corners of the teal textured paper and ink the edges, then fold the extra 1 1/2" over the top of the card to create a flap. Cut out the black and ivory polka dot border and glue it across the flap, trimming the excess even with the edges of the flap. Reserve the excess border for use on the card inside.
- Recall the 1" wide strip that you cut off the card in step 1 and cover one side of the strip with dark brown textured paper (the layering is for reinforcement). Punch two 3/4" holes out of the layered cardstock and papers. Use an ivory brad to secure one punched circle, brown side up, centered over the polka dot strip that runs across the card flap.
- Add an ivory brad to the center of the other punched circle. Cut a 10" length of ivory embroidery floss and tie a small loop in one end. Run the brad prongs through the loop, then use the brad to attach the punched circle about 7/8" below the circle from step 4. After completing the inside of the card, close the card and fold down the flap, then wrap the length of embroidery floss around the punched circle tabs to close the card.
For the Card Inside:
- Cut a 5"x2" piece of blue/brown diamonds paper and glue it flush against the top edge of the card inside. Cover the bottom of the card with teal textured paper, trimming the paper even with the edges of the card.
- Cut out the quote in a strip and ink the edges. Using the excess black and ivory polka dot border that you trimmed off the flap on the card front, run the border vertically about 3/4" to the left of the printed quote, trimming the excess even with the top and bottom edges of the quote. Glue the quote about 1 1/4" from the top of the card, covering the seam between the blue/brown diamonds and teal textured papers, then ink the edges of the card inside.
A tip from Shauna:Add interest to your cards with unique closures! I created a circle and string closure for this “Thanks” card with just two reinforced paper circles, two brads and a length of embroidery floss. Your lucky card recipients will love the attention to detail, and you’ll love how easy it is to do!
Questions? Email us!
This Page To A Friend
If you no longer wish to receive the Layouts With Pizazz newsletter,
please let us know by clicking
Click here to view past Layouts With Pizazz.
here for a printable copy (requires Adobe
© 2006 Hot Off the Press
1250 NW Third Avenue, Canby, OR 97013