Kristen & Allison
By Susan Cobb
A Tip From Susan: To save paper, you can make coordinating page accents out of your background paper! Simply place your matted photo or other large page element in place on your background paper and lightly trace around it with a pencil to reserve that area. Remove the photo, then trace and cut a template shape or punch shapes out of the paper within the pencil lines. Finally, just glue the photo back in place to cover up the cut out area! If you won't be placing another page behind this page in a sheet protector, be sure to place a piece of cardstock in the protector to cover the cut out area. On this “Kristen & Allison” layout, Susan cut her pink photo envelope from the portion of the paper covered by the large photo.
Questions? Email us!
This Page To A Friend
If you no longer wish to receive the Layouts With Pizazz newsletter,
please let us know by clicking
Click here to view past Layouts With Pizazz.
here for a printable copy (requires Adobe
click here to view large image
For the Outside of the Binder:
- Use the pink texture with border paper as the background, orienting the paper so the border runs down the left side. Mat the photo on the green texture portion of the green texture with argyle border paper. Trim the top, left and right edges of the mat to 1/2” and the bottom edge to 1”, then ink the edges with black. Cut a 1/2” wide strip of polka dots from the brown polka dot paper and ink the edges with black. Glue centered across the bottom edge of the photo mat and trim the ends of the paper strip even with the edges of the mat. Place the matted photo toward the top left corner of the page but do not glue down yet. Use a pencil to lightly trace around the edges of the mat to reserve the space, then remove.
- Use a pencil to lightly trace the small envelope from the template onto the pink texture portion of the background paper, within the pencil lines from step 1. Use an X-acto® knife to cut out the envelope shape and reserve for later. Glue the matted photo back in place, covering the cut out portion, then add one antique brad to each top corner of the photo mat.
- From the template, trace the medium envelope shape onto green texture paper and cut out. Line the inside of the envelope with green texture paper, then ink the edges with black and fold into shape. Trace the tag shape that fits inside the medium envelope onto brown polka dot paper, then cut out and ink the edges with black. Computer journal the phrase “best friends” onto green texture paper and crop, then ink the edges with black and glue at an angle across the tag. Add an antique brad to the top of the tag and place the tag in the envelope. Glue the envelope at an angle in the bottom left corner of the pink texture portion of the background paper, slightly overlapping the border. Recall the small pink texture envelope from step 2. Ink the edges of the shape with black and add a small photo in the window of the envelope. Fold the envelope into shape and use a black pen to write the year under the window, then glue at an angle on the front of the green texture envelope. Tie a length of lime grosgrain ribbon around the right side of an antique heart clip, then add the clip to the right edge of the green texture envelope.
- Trace the large envelope shape from the template onto brown polka dot paper, then ink the edges with black and fold into shape. Cut a 9” length of lime grosgrain ribbon and tie it into a shoestring bow, trimming the tails at an angle. Use a Glue Dot™ to secure the bow over the flap on the envelope, then glue the envelope at an angle on the right side of the page, overlapping the bottom right corner of the photo mat.
- Computer journal onto green texture paper, then crop into a vertical rectangle and ink the edges with black. Mat on brown polka dot paper and ink the edges with black. Glue at an angle between the two envelopes at the bottom of the page and add one antique brad to the top of the journaling.
- Computer journal the names onto green texture paper, then crop and ink the edges with black. Mat on brown polka dot paper and ink the edges with black. Glue to the right of the photo and add an antique brad to the right end of the journaling.
© 2005 Hot Off the Press
1250 NW Third Avenue, Canby, OR 97013