By LeNae Gerig
Designer’s Tip: These water-based chalk markers erase easily with a damp cloth – reuse the chalkboard and markers over and over!
- Paint the edges of each Chalkboard frame piece with the black Chalkboard Marker and let dry. Apply a thin coat of Tacky Craft Glue to one side of the chalkboard frame and cover with Hopscotch green border paper with the border along the top. After covering with paper, turn the frame over and use the X-acto® knife to cut away the excess paper from the frame edges. Use the knife to poke through the paper covering the tiny hole near the bottom of the frame. Repeat for remaining sides. Use the sanding block to lightly sand the paper edges to remove any nicks and smooth the edges. Place lengths of Black Jewel Border Dazzles™ along the edges of the window opening. Place a large Red Jewel Dazzles™ on each corner.
- Use the Chalkboard Marker to apply black paint to one side of each square wood piece. Let dry and repeat. Let dry again and use the sanding block to lightly sand the surface of each board to remove any streaking. Cover the back of the boards with patterned paper. Apply Tacky Glue around the edges on the backside of each frame. Place the chalkboard side down and let dry.
- Hinges: To secure the 2 frames together at the top, turn the frames over and place the top of each end-to-end. Place the 2 tiny silver hinges overlapping each frame and secure with 8 tiny screws.
- Thread a length of Hopscotch red/white baker’s twine through the back of the frame front. Tie a loop or bow at one end of the twine on the front of the frame and thread the remaining twine through the back of the other frame. Tie a loop on the frame front with about 4” of twine between the frame to keep them in place.
- Use yellow dot ribbon to make a loopy bow. Use a length of red dot ribbon to make a bow and glue to the center of the yellow bow. Glue the bows the top left side of the frame front.
- Use the water-based chalk markers to decorate the chalkboard surfaces. You can reuse them for many occasions by wiping clean with a damp cloth.