Hogs & Kisses
By Susan Cobb
Designer’s Tip: Using an acrylic block as my palette, I mixed some Spectrum Aqua™ pen colors together to create unique colors to match my background papers. When mixing these colors, I always try them out on a piece of scrap paper to test the color before adding it to my project. Be sure to let the color dry on the paper when checking the color, because they look much different once they dry. When working with my clear palette, I place a piece of white paper beneath it so I can see the colors clearly.
- Front: Place your blank card with the fold on the left. Cover the card with dark aqua textured paper. Cut 4 1/2"x6” Emma’s Garden dark brown floral paper and glue it centered on the card. Cut 3 3/4"x5” Emma’s Garden pink dots paper and mat on watercolor paper with 1/16” borders. Glue centered on the card. Add Thin Lines Dazzles™ at the edges of the dark aqua paper and the pink dots paper as shown.
- Use the 8 Circles and Scallops cutting dies to die cut a 2 1/2" circle from watercolor paper. Cut a 3” scallop circle from dark aqua textured paper.
- Stamp the pig image centered on the circle of watercolor paper with black ink. Place the three hearts stamp on your block. Place cellophane tape over the medium and large hearts, leaving the tiny heart exposed. Ink over the stamp with the Black SurfaceZ ink, and quickly pull off the tape. Stamp a tiny heart near the pig image as shown. Repeat for the remaining tiny hearts. Then mask the small and large hearts to stamp the medium heart images.
- Take your clean acrylic block and place it on the white scrap paper. Use the brush tip of the Blossom pen to scribble about a 1” square onto the block. Take the Red Violet pen and scribble about a 1/2" square. Dip your brush in water and blot off the excess with the paper towel. Use the brush to mix together the Blossom color and just a little of the Red Violet color. Add a little more water to the mix. Try the color on a scrap of watercolor paper and let the paper dry completely to check the color. If it is too violet, add more Blossom, and more water. If it is too dark, add more water. Try the color again and let it dry on a scrap of watercolor paper. When you are pleased with the color, paint in the lighter areas of the pig image. Do the same mixture again, with less water for the shaded areas, cheeks, snout, tongue, tail, and hooves. Paint in the areas and let dry.
- Use equal parts of Sea Green and Aquamarine on the palette and mix with plenty of water for a very pale mixture and paint in the background around the pig. Create the same mixture with less water and paint in the hearts. If you feel the pink color of the pig is too bright at this point, add some of the very pale Sea green/Aquamarine mixture over the pink pig and let dry—it will tone it down a little bit. Apply the Chocolate pen to the block and mix with water. Paint in the nostrils and mud.
- Glue the circle centered on the dark aqua scalloped circle and foam tape it on the pink dots paper, 1 1/8” from the top of the card. Cut 3 3/4"x3/8” watercolor paper and stamp “Hogs & Kisses” with black ink centered on it. Stamp a large heart on each side of the words, using the masking method above. Mat on Emma’s Garden dark aqua textured paper with 1/16” borders. Foam tape across the pink dots paper, 1 1/4" from the bottom of the card. Paint in the hearts with the Sea Green/Aquamarine mixture as before. Add Thin Lines Dazzles™ on the edges of the rectangle.
- Use pink grosgrain ribbon to tie a bow. Zot™ the bow on the left side of the words as shown. Place Brown Jewel Dazzles™ between the scallops on the dark aqua scallop circle as shown.