"As a paper addict who loves creating and teaching, I'm thrilled to combine these passions in my daily work," says Hot Off The Press owner and President Paulette Jarvey.
In 1980, Paulette started the company on her kitchen table, producing the craft book You Can Dough It! Since then, the company has been honored with more than 25 Primedia Awards of Excellence for superior quality and design and has produced over 800 products.
Paulette believes that everyone is creative, a belief that inspired her to begin the company. "I wanted to produce books and products to make crafters successful," she says. "My mission was, and still is, to foster confidence and self-esteem in crafters of all ages and any skill level."
Paulette continues to work hard at this goal, through both publishing and teaching. In addition to being a CKU (Creating Keepsakes University) professor, she's taught classes and seminars all over the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. At HIA 2003, Paulette was honored with Creating Keepsakes® Award for Outstanding Achievement.
Q & A with Paulette:
What's the best part of your job?
The very best part is that I get to keep growing and learning new skills. I'm never bored!
What project at Hot Off The Press has been most fun for you to work on? Why?
Working on the next new thing is always the most fun—it's amazing to see where an idea will take us as we move from concept to graphics to the designers working with prototypes. It's great fun!
What motivates you?
I'm always reaching. I always want to do things better. I do want to get that A—even when I'm the one grading (I'm sure it's my parents' fault!).
What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment in terms of your work?
Although I'm incredibly proud of Hot Off The Press and the products we created, I'm most gratified by the opportunities for growth we've been able to offer those who work here. Seeing someone stretch and grow and succeed is quite a privilege.
What excites you about the future of this industry?
I've always been a paper addict and I've always loved making things. How terrific to be able to combine both loves in my daily work!
What is the most exciting part of being behind the development of such a thriving company?
What I absolutely love is that the product gets better every time another person touches it. It may begin with my idea but then the graphics team does wonderful things with it and the product development team makes great suggestions and the scrapbook specialists make incredible layouts with it. It is always amazing to me to watch the growth.
Paulette's advice to other paper crafters:
I suggest not getting stuck in any one look or using only one set of products. If you find yourself saying, "But that's not my style," and closing down to new looks or new techniques, shoot up a red flag. Creativity is all about being open to new things and often, you'll find a treasure of an idea in the most unlikely of places, but it takes an open mind.
Paulette's top Hot Off The Press product picks:
• sarabinders™. I love how versatile sarabinders™ are—I can easily make any project I can dream up. As an avid list maker, I can never have enough places to keep all my lists! Experimenting with different ways to decorate the cover is so much fun, and the wide variety of inserts are great to decorate with coordinating embellishments too!
• Cardmaker's™ Citrus Creative Pack. I love all of the fun, bright colors in this pack of papers, tags and artwork. Cards made from the wonderful materials in this set are always striking!
• Cardmaker's™ Citrus Ribbons. Of course I love that all the colors of these ribbons coordinate perfectly with the colors in the Citrus Creative Pack, but I also love the selection of ribbon styles in this collection. Sheers, grosgrains, woven and printed ribbons are great on their own, but they're also so great to use together for a variety of textures.
• 8"x8" Wedding Papers and Mini Album. I'm working on our sons' wedding albums for Christmas, (don't tell them!) and the book of coordinating papers and artwork makes this project so much fun to work on, quick and easy to complete and everything is looking great!
Paulette's other top paper crafting product picks:
• Brads, brads and more brads! I love brads with painted designs, mini brads and brads in wire shapes, too. From attaching items to pure decoration, they're just so versatile.
• Clips. Our designers have found so many ways to use these flat little items in ways that look great and are functional, too!
• Ink pads. That may sound funny, but as a non-stamper I love how easy ink pads are to use on my papers and sarabinders™—I like the added depth that inking provides.