About the Page
Technique: Creating Chic Pages with Retro and Fresh Citrus sarapapers
Designers: LeNae Gerig and Shauna Berglund-Immel
Bright colors are the hottest trend! No matter where you go, you cant help but see all those fresh pinks, tangerines, teals and limes. Now you can fill the pages of your scrapbook with these chic shades thanks to the two latest additions to the sarapapers line: Retro and Fresh Citrus sarapapers! Think bright colors are only for summertime and kids pages? No way! Check out how LeNae and Shauna used these trendy colors and funky patterns on their latest family-themed layouts!
By LeNae Gerig
LeNae pulled all of that warm sunshine right out of the photos on this Favorite Things layout with bright colors from Retro sarapapers. She used background paper and tags from the Retro collection, then accented the layout with printed twill, fibers, clips and journaling.
Dont forget: You can layer elements on top of your photos! LeNae reminds us. Overlapping tags and embellishments on your photos, or wrapping your photos with ribbons and fibers, will incorporate the photos into the layout and create great focal points. In this Favorite Things layout, I wrapped one of my photos with light yellow fibers, and I layered a tag on top of it too. I also overlapped a combination of tags, clips and fibers on top of my journaling and one of my photos. By overlapping elements, you will create focal points on your photos, making your photos even more noticeable than if they were standing alone!
- Use the green with circle border paper as the background. Cut 2 3/4x8 1/4 piece of yellow flower paper and ink the edges with black, then glue it horizontally across the green portion of the background paper, 1 1/4 down from the top of the page. Add one light blue pearl mini brad in each top corner of the yellow flowers piece. Cut a 13 piece of favorite things twill and secure it across the bottom of the page, 1 1/4 up from the bottom, using Glue Lines, then wrap the ends around to the back and secure. Add two light blue and two light green pearl brads to the twill.
- Mat the horizontal photo on light yellow cardstock and trim the mat to 1/16. Mat again on teal cardstock and trim the mat to 1/4. Ink the edges with black, then center the matted photo over the yellow flowers paper and attach with a glue stick.
- Mat the vertical photo on white cardstock and trim the mat to 1/16. Cut a 12 piece of light yellow cord and wrap it around the bottom portion of the photo. Tie a knot on the front of the photo and trim the tails to 1. Mat the photo again on teal cardstock and trim the mat to 1/8. Secure the photo on the page under the horizontal photo using a glue stick. Cut out the blue with yellow circle tag and journal on it with a black pen. Add a gold mini clip to the top of the tag, then tuck the tag under the light yellow cord. Glue the tag in place with a glue stick.
- Computer journal onto light yellow cardstock. Crop the journaling to fit the page, leaving extra space at the top, then ink the edges with black and accent the title with purple decorating chalk. Cut a 9 piece of green ribbon and wrap it around the top of the journaling. Knot the ribbon on the front of the journaling and trim the tails to 1. Mat on teal cardstock and trim the mat to 1/8.
- Cut out the green dots tag and the green with blue circle tag. Journal onto the green with blue circle tag with a black pen. Glue the green with blue circle tag on top of the green dots tag at an angle. Add a gold circle clip to the top of the tags. Cut a 3 piece of green ribbon and knot it on the gold circle clip, then trim the tails to 1. Secure the tags on the page at an angle in the bottom right corner of the horizontal photo using a glue stick. Cut one favorite things out of the twill and glue it on top of the tags with Glue Lines, tucking the top under the circle clip.
Four Generations Gerig
By Shauna Berglund-Immel
Jazz up your family reunions with trendy colors and patterns from Fresh Citrus sarapapers! An enlarged photo and title fill and balance most of this Four Generations Gerig layout, so all Shauna added was a little journaling and a fun tag with some ribbon for dimension.
Sometimes I just cant find letter punches or die cuts in fonts that will match the theme of my layout, Shauna admits. But I found a great solution! I discovered that I can enlarge and print fonts right from my computer. Then, I just cut out the letters and use them as a template, tracing them onto my favorite paper. In this Four Generations Gerig layout, I alternated upper and lower case letters and attached only the upper case letters to the page with foam mounting tape, while the lower case letters were attached with a glue stick. This makes my title really pop, and it remains balanced on the page by repeating the same paper pattern throughout the layout. Give it a try!
- Use the green scuffed words paper as the background. Mat photo on black glimmer paper and trim the mat to 1/16. Mat top and bottom on gold glimmer paper and trim the mats to 1/8. Mat top and bottom again on black glimmer paper and trim the mats to 1/16. Mat bottom on citrus stripe paper and trim the mat to 1/4, then ink the bottom edge with black. Adhere the photo to the left of the striped border using a glue stick.
- Computer journal the family name in large letters with every other letter being upper case, and the others lower case. Trace the letters onto the citrus stripe paper using a black pen. Cut out the letters and mat on black glimmer paper and trim the mats to 1/16. Arrange the letters across the bottom of the page and secure in place. Use foam mounting tape for the upper case letters and a glue stick for the lower case letters.
- Cut out the teal tag and journal onto it with a black pen. Attach it at an angle in the upper right corner of the photo. Cut a 5 length of black and white gingham ribbon and tie it into a shoestring bow. Add the bow to the top of the tag with a Zot.
- With a black pen, journal the date and title directly onto the background paper.