|Paper Wishes Weekly Webisodes
||Get an insider's look at HOTP's booth from this year's CHA-Winter trade show!
About the Projects
Technique: Birthday Cards
Designer: Susan Cobb
Every single year you're guaranteed one thing: A birthday! And that means all your friends and loved ones will be having birthdays too, which can add up to a whole lot of card making. Looking for a little inspiration? We've got you covered! Read on for two of Susan's simple card designs, just right for any birthday. Use them to celebrate an upcoming birthday, or add them to your stash to make sure you always have a special card on hand when you're in a pinch!
By Susan Cobb
For the Card Front:
- Place the card with the fold on the left. Measure and mark 1" from the top left corner, both along the top edge and down the left side of the card. Draw a straight line between the two marks, then cut along the line. Repeat with the top right corner of the card, resulting in a tag shape. Cover the remaining card front with multi blocks paper.
- Cut a 5"x4 1/4" piece of lime texture paper. Cut a strip of squares from the orange squares paper, measuring 5"x1 3/8". Glue the strip across the top of the lime paper and add three present brads to three of the squares.
- Glue the ï¿½Happy Birthday to You!ï¿½ border cut-out across the bottom of the lime paper and add a candle brad to each end of the phrase. Glue the ï¿½Birthday Boyï¿½ cut-out centered on the lime paper and add a candle brad over the ï¿½iï¿½. Glue the lime paper to the card front, just below the cut corners. Zotï¿½ a knot of yellow ribbon to the top left edge of the lime paper.
For the Right Page:
- Glue a 5"x2 1/2" strip of lime texture paper centered across the card inside.
- Glue the ï¿½giggleï¿½ tab cut-out behind the bottom right edge of a blank tag cut-out. Add a candle brad to bottom of the blank portion of the tag. Glue the loose ends of a folded piece of yellow ribbon behind the top of the tag to create a tab. Glue the tag centered on the lime strip. Glue the ï¿½birthday fun!ï¿½ cut-out at an angle across the top of the tag.
It's Your Birthday!
By Susan Cobb
For the Card Front:
- Place the card with the fold on the left. Cover the card front with lime texture paper and ink the edges.
- Cut a 4 3/4"x6 1/4" piece of calendar paper, including the calendar border along the top edge. Attach the ï¿½Wishesï¿½ Brad Buddyï¿½ in the top left corner of the black grid portion of the calendar paper. Glue the paper centered on the card front.
- Chalk the ï¿½It's your birthday!ï¿½ quote green and ink the edges. Mat on yellow texture paper, trim to 1/16" and ink the edges. Glue the loose ends of a piece of lime ribbon behind the left end of the yellow mat. Glue the quote in the bottom right corner of the card front. Glue a small tag cut-out overlapping the top right edge of the quote.
- Glue lime ribbon across the card front, overlapping the seam between the calendar and black grid portion of the calendar paper. Trim the ends even with the card edges. Zotï¿½ a knot of lime ribbon to the right end of the length.
For the Card Inside:
- Cut a 5"x3 1/4" piece of calendar paper, including three rows of blocks from the calendar border on the left side. Glue the paper centered across the card inside.
- Chalk the ï¿½Let us celebrateï¿½ï¿½ quote green and ink the edges. Mat on yellow texture paper and ink the edges. Glue the quote centered on the black grid portion of the calendar paper. Glue a small tag cut-out overlapping the bottom right edge of the quote.