You are the Best!
By Susan Cobb
Designer's Tip: Use these color coordinated watercolor pencils and a wet paintbrush to add beautiful watercolor painting effects to your projects.
- Card Front: Place your card topper face up on your work surface. Starting with the frame in the center of the topper, color in the "X" shapes with pencil #133. Color in the center diamond shapes with pencil #156. Now take your wet paintbrush, go over the rose-colored areas, and spread the color to fill in surrounding areas, filling in the entire frame. Rinse the brush in clean water. Take the wet brush and moisten the blue color in each diamond shape.
- Take your clean wet brush and apply to the #166 pencil point and pick up the green color onto the brush. Paint a light wash onto the center rectangle inside the frame, spreading the color to the edges.
- Use the pencils to color in the geometric patterns on the remaining card topper, alternating colors as shown. Once you have the areas colored in, use the wet brush to spread the color. You may wish to use the pencils to add more color while the paper is still damp, then spread it out again with the wet brush. You can also add more color with the pencils after the paper is dry, which adds visual texture.
- Take your clean wet brush and apply to the #156 pencil point and pick up the blue color onto the brush. Paint a light wash of the color onto the thin outer frame of the card topper, filling in the area to the edges. Dab off the excess moisture with the paper towel.
- Place the plastic page protector over your card topper, then place the book over the top. Allow to dry an hour or so while weighted to flatten.
- Place your card with the fold on the left. Glue the colored card topper even with the card front. Place the page protector over the top, then place the book over it again while you color the tag.
- Cut out the "You are the Best!" tag. Use the wet brush to pick up blue color from the tip of the #156 pencil and apply the color to the center of the tag. Repeat for the tag border, using the #166 pencil. Set aside to dry. Fold a piece of 1/2" wide lime grosgrain ribbon in half and glue to the back of the tag as a tab. Remove the weight and plastic from the card topper and foam tape the tag centered on the card front. Zot a lime ribbon bow to the card topper as shown.
- Glue a 5" length of lime ribbon across the center of the inside. Cut out the "Thank You a lot!" and blank faux ribbon label. Take your clean wet brush and apply to the #133 pencil point to pick up the rose color on the brush. Paint a light wash of color to the outer frame of the faux ribbon label. Repeat for the center square of the "Thank you a lot!" label. Repeat for the center of the faux ribbon label with the #156 pencil. Let dry. Glue the faux ribbon label centered over the lime ribbon. Color in the remaining geometric frame of the "Thank you a lot!" label with #166 and #156. Use the wet brush to spread the color within the shapes; let dry. Glue the square label centered over the faux ribbon label.