Black & Pink Friendship Card
By Teresa Welch
Technique: Dry-Blending Gelatos To dry-blend Gelatos, it's as easy as rubbing the Gelatos onto your paper, then using a paper towel, tissue, or your finger to blend them into the paper and to remove stroke marks. Dry-blending takes a bit longer to do than wet-blending; however, the color stays where you put it, allowing you to color specific shapes. The tips of the Gelatos are a bit wide for detail work, but you can achieve artistic results with them, even on dark cardstocks. For this card, I blended the metallic Gelatos with my finger and cotton swabs in an effort to stay close to the outlines.
- Card front: Turn the card with the fold on the left and cover with black cardstock. Cut 4½"x6" Rosemary & Thyme black/purple paper and glue centered on the front. Cut the following Rosemary & Thyme papers: ½"x5½" pink tapestry, ½"x4¾" purple houndstooth, and ½"x5¼" pink dots. Glue beginning 1/2" from the fold, overlappinng as shown.
- Cut 3?"x3?" black cardstock. Use VersaMark ink to stamp the flower and text image on the cardstock, along with two butterflies, all placed as shown. Cover with White Super Fine embossing powder, tap off the excess, and heat to melt.
- Color the large flower with Rose Gelato, then use your finger to blend it into the paper and a swab to push the color to the petal tips.
- Color two flowers Gold and one Purple, the leaves Teal, and the butterflies blue as shown. Use your finger and swabs to blend the colors. Mat the panel on purple cardstock with 1/16" borders, then on pink cardstock with 1/32" borders. Foam tape 1" from the bottom.
- Use the Layered Labels template to trace and cut bracket label C from black cardstock. Stamp and emboss "laugh" and a flower on the label. Color the flower with Purple Gelato and blend. Mat on pink cardstock with 1/32" borders, then foam tape over the flowered panel at the upper right. Place pearls as shown.
- For the inside: Cut 4?"x6?" black cardstock. Stamp and emboss the flower corners on the upper right and lower left corners. Color the large flower Rose and the small flowers Purple, then blend with swabs.
- Cut five ½" wide strips, 2¾" to 3¼" long, from Rosemary & Thyme purple houndstooth, pink dots, and pink tapestry papers. Glue as shown, then mat the panel on purple cardstock with 1/16" borders and glue to the inside.
- Use the template to trace and cut bracket label A from black cardstock. Stamp and emboss "hello Friend" on it, then mat on pink cardstock and foam tape over the strips.
- Stamp and emboss one of each butterfly on black cardstock, then color with Teal Gelato and blend with a swab. Cut out the butterflies and foam tape to the label. Place 3mm pearls as shown.