Think Snow Card
By Susan Cobb
Designer’s Tip: Create “snow” for a wintery look with WOW! White Ultra High Embossing powder and Silver Zing! Glitter embossing powder on torn paper. A light sprinkling of the white embossing powder over the other papers and elements creates a look of falling snow.
- Front: Place your card with the fold on the left. Cut a 4 3/4"x6” Fresh Frost snowflakes on tan paper with the border at the top. Ink the edges with VersaMark™ ink and sprinkle with Silver Zing! Embossing powder. Tap off the excess and heat to melt with the heat gun. Lightly sprinkle White Ultra High Embossing powder over the paper. Use the heat gun to apply heat from the bottom of the paper to melt the embossing powder. Mat on Fresh Frost dark blue textured paper with 1/16” borders at top and sides (the bottom edge won’t be matted). Glue on the card front, centered at top and sides.
- Tear across the top edge of a sheet of Fresh Frost dark blue textured paper, so it gradually slopes down on the right side. The right side will be 1 1/2" lower than the top left corner. Repeat for a piece of aqua snowflakes paper. Layer the 2 pieces together so the aqua paper is on top, with about 1/4" of the blue paper showing at the top. Glue the top edges together, then trim 3” off the bottom. Place on scrap paper. Sprinkle with White Ultra High Embossing powder and Silver Zing! Embossing powder and apply heat with the heat gun from beneath the paper to melt the powder. Glue the layered papers even with the bottom edge of the card. Trim the side edges evenly.
- Tear across the top edge of a sheet of Fresh Frost aqua/navy blue dots paper as you did for the papers in step #2. Trim 3 1/4" off the bottom. Apply VersaMark™ ink heavily over the entire piece and sprinkle with White Ultra High Embossing powder. Pour more white Ultra High embossing powder onto a piece of scrap paper and have it within your reach. With the heat gun at least 7” away, heat the sprinkled paper until the powder melts (be patient, this will take a few minutes). While still hot, quickly press the paper embossed side down, into the sheet of White Ultra High Embossing powder. Now quickly heat again as before. Continue until you are happy with the look of the embossed piece. While still hot, sprinkle over the top edge of the piece with Silver Zing! Embossing powder and heat to melt as before. Let cool. Foam tape on the card, with the left side 2 3/4" from the bottom. Trim the edges evenly with the card. Use the heat gun to briefly heat the cut edges to round them slightly.
- Use the 2 1/2" circle cutting die and die-cutting machine to cut a circle from Fresh Frost dark blue textured paper. Stamp the Ice Skates image centered on the circle with VersaMark™ ink. Sprinkle with Silver Zing! Embossing powder and heat to melt with the heat gun. Ink the edges of the circle with VersaMark™ and emboss them silver. Place on scrap paper. Lightly sprinkle a tiny bit of White Ultra High Embossing powder over the circle, then heat to melt applying the heat beneath the scrap paper. Die-cut a 3” scalloped circle with Fresh Frost burgundy textured paper and foam tape the stamped/embossed circle centered on it. Tape centered on the card front, 1/2" from the top.
- Die-cut a 1 1/8” circle from Fresh Frost dark blue textured paper and a 1 1/2" scalloped circle from Fresh Frost aqua snowflakes paper. Stamp a large snowflake centered on the blue circle and emboss it silver. Emboss the edges of the circle silver. Lightly sprinkle with White Ultra High Embossing Powder and heat to melt as before. Foam tape centered on the aqua scalloped circle and tape on the embossed “snow” on the lower left portion of the card.
- Stamp “Think SNOW” on dark blue textured paper and emboss silver. Trim into a 1 7/8”x1/2” rectangle, then emboss the edges silver. Lightly sprinkle with white Ultra High Embossing Powder and heat to melt as before. Mat on burgundy textured paper with 1/16” borders. Foam tape overlapping the circles on the embossed “snow” as shown. Tie a knot at the center of a 4” length of 3/4" wide burgundy crepe ribbon. Trim the ends into a “V”. Zot™ the knotted ribbon as shown.