About the Pages
Technique: Use 'Em for Anything Pastels
Designers: Susan Cobb
Come across a page you love, but cant use the theme? We know moms experience this a lot. You fall in love with a layout you see in a magazine, on a website or in your local scrapbook store, but that page was made for boys, and you only have daughters (or vice versa)! Here, Susan shows how you can use the same paper collection and same set of embellishments with just one layout, creating two totally different looking pagesone for boys, and one for girls!
5 Reasons We Love Summer!
By Susan Cobb
Susan says: After selecting a masculine blue, green and yellow color scheme, I went for a rough and tumble feel on this boy-themed page by inking the edges of my background paper, photo mat and paper embellishments with contrasting black ink. I also sanded and inked the edges of my photos, and sanded the tops of all the brads. To keep that masculine effect going, I chose a monogram and tag with lots of straight lines, then used geometric embellishments like circles and xs to accent the page.
- Ink the edges of the dotted color block paper and place it with the large solid block in the top right. Heavily sand and ink the edges of two horizontal photos, then mat them on mint cardstock, one above the other with 1/2" of space between and 1/2 around all edges. Ink the edges of the mat and glue over the right side of the page.
- Add a sanded yellow brad centered in the space between the photos. Punch a 2 1/8" circle of light yellow cardstock and ink the edges. Write the photo subjects names above and below the center of the circle. Attach the circle to the left of the yellow brad with a sanded green brad in the center, then add a sanded blue brad to the right of the yellow brad.
- Add four sanded brads down the right edge of the color blocks that run down the left side of the page. Ink the edges of a blue 5 monogram. Mat the monogram on mint cardstock, trim to about 1/8 and ink the edges. Glue the monogram in the top left corner of the large solid color block and accent with two sanded yellow mini brads. Write Reasons we love summer! below the 5.
- Computer journal a list of five items on mint cardstock. Use the template to trace a standard tag shape around the journaling, then cut out and ink the edges. Ink the edges of a 1/4-wide strip of yellow cardstock and glue across the bottom of the tag, trimming the excess even with the tag edges. Glue the tag below Reasons we love summer!, then write the year below. Ink the edges of the yellow +, then glue it sideways (so it looks like an x) over the top of the tag. Add a sanded blue mini brad to the center of the x.
5 Of My Favorite Things
By Susan Cobb
Susan says: For this feminine layout, I chose a background paper thats mostly pink, then accented the page in a rainbow of soft colors. I sanded the edges of the background paper and a monogram embellishment to bring out a bit of soft white, but otherwise left the inking and sanding off this page for a sleeker effect. To really boost the feminine feel, I selected embellishments with rounded corners, such as a curvy monogram, a rounded tag and colorful silk flowers.
- Sand the edges of a sheet of pinwheel paper and add a brad to the center of every other pinwheel, then place the paper with the pinwheel border on the left. Mat two horizontal photos on yellow cardstock, one above the other with 1/2 of space between and 1/2 around all edges. Tear along the top and bottom edges of the mat, then glue over the right side of the page. Write the subjects name in the bottom right corner of the mat.
- Add a blue brad centered in the space between the photos. Add a pink brad to the right, then use a green brad to attach a purple silk flower to the left.
- Sand the edges of a green 5 monogram and glue it in the top left corner of the pink portion of the page. Accent the monogram with two blue mini brads and a yellow silk flower, attached with a pink mini brad. Write of my favorite things below the 5.
- Write a list of five items on yellow cardstock. Use the template to trace a rounded tag shape around the journaling. Cut out the tag, then mat on mint cardstock and trim to about 1/8. Glue the tag below of my favorite things and write the year below. Attach a blue silk flower over the tags tab with a lavender brad.