Get Ready! National Scrapbooking Day Sketch Challenge!

Happy Tuesday to you all! My head has finally stopped spinning after last week’s release of Hot Off The Press’ four amazing new scrapbooking collections, and the timing couldn’t be any better because this Saturday, May 2nd is National Scrapbooking Day!

by Susan Cobb

by Susan Cobb (click here for instructions)

Paper Wishes is hosting our National Scrapbooking Day Sketch Challenge and it begins today!! We’ve made it super easy to participate. There are two layout sketches to choose fromโ€”just pick a sketch, pick a technique, and start scrappin’! It doesn’t have to be incredibly technical โ€“ around here, the word “technique” really runs the gamut. So just go for it! When you’re done, simply post a photo of your page and your supply list in the comments section below, and you could win $25 to Paper Wishes! Here are the details:

Blog_nsdchallenge2015-01

In the crafting world, this is about as close as it gets to an actual holiday without it actually being one. And Paper Wishes has everything you’ll need to make it the best National Scrapbooking Day everโ€”from supplies to inspiration to product support! Most of us create scrapbooks as a way to preserve and celebrate our happiest moments. National Scrapbooking Day is the perfect excuse to spend a little time and creativity on some of your favorite memoriesโ€”the important thing is to just get started!

I included the page above to get those scrapbook wheels turning, and you can click the image to see exactly how it was created using Hot Off The Press’ brand new Artful Watercolor scrapbooking papers! For even more scrapbooking inspiration, check out our Week of Webisodes with truly incredible project ideas every single day this week!

I hope you’re super excited to choose a sketch and create your very own National Scrapbooking Day page! Remember, post a photo of your page in the comments section below by 8am on Monday, May 4th for a chance to win $25 to Paper Wishes! Post any questions you might have too! Now, let’s pop the tops off those glue sticks and start celebrating!

Michelle Gustafson

Paper Wishes Blog

PS – Here are the National Scrapbooking Day sketches to print!

2015_HOTPNSDSKETCH-01

Click on the image to print

NSD_sketch2015-01

Click on the image to print

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

42 Responses to “Get Ready! National Scrapbooking Day Sketch Challenge!”

1. Annette says:

This sounds very exciting and I just might have to join in on this one! TFS, Annette

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Annette, I’m so glad you are excited! It’s definitely a fun opportunity to win just by doing what we love. I can’t wait to see what everyone will come up with! Thanks for commenting! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Linda J says:

I am disappointed. I just saw the contest in my e-mail and after going to the blog noticed this challenge is for scrapbookers only! not cardmakers. I know that it is national scrapbooking day, but as a VIP Paper Wishes customer, I am still disappointed that we are excluded. It would have been nice to see that one of the sketch challenges was for cardmakers, too. I was really hoping to participate:(
    Linda J.

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Thank you for your feedback, Linda! We would never exclude anybody! As Sam mentioned, there are all kinds of events and challenges happening on the Paper Wishes Message Board. And don’t worry, cardmakers will get their turn on World Card Making Day in October! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. SamB says:

Linda,come on over to the Paper Wishes forum / Message Board…we are also having NSD events and one of them is specifically for our cardmakers!!!

4. Jo-Anne says:

Hi! I am not sure what you mean by s ‘sketch’. Can I send a pic of my page? How do I enter the challenge? I don’t see where to do it? Thanks, Michelle and PW. Jo-Anne

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Hi Jo-Anne, thanks for asking! The “sketches” are just the two different layouts we have provided for you to choose from. So you will pick a sketch/layout, create your page and take a picture. Then, post your picture here in the comments and you will be entered! I hope this clarifies, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

• Jo-Anne says:

Hi Michelle, I LOVE all the Simply Susan products!! It reminds me of Zentangle, which I love to do!
        I used these supplies on my MOTHER’S DAY PAGE:Simply Susan paper pack; Simply Susan ribbon set; Simply Susan acrylic stamp set; Fresh Cut acrylic stamp set(Gail’s technique of stamping leaves on vellum); Spectrum Noir markers; Easy Layered Ribbon Banner Template; Stylish Stix straws; Epiphany Bottle Caps; Epiphany Buttons and punch; Pearl Blossoms; Memory Thread; Jewel Dazzles; Computer Journaling. The rolled paper on top of the center photo, I believe was an Ann technique.
        I will be scrapbooking & making cards ALL day tomorrow as not only is it NSD, it is also my birthday!! And I will also be placing a Paper Wishes order! (for a birthday present to myself ha-ha!). Loved this Week of Webisodes! Thank you PW!!!

5. Karen Hale says:

I’m not the best photographer (my shading on the tags did not show up in my pics)but here are my supplies: White, purple, lavender CS; Violet suede paper; Gypsy Jewels pp; Silver Linen specialty paper; Gypsy Jewels paper tole; Gypsy Jewels Flower paper tole; Purple Jewel Border Dazzles; Purple Jewel Circle Dazzles; Black Inside-Outside Greetings Dazzles;3D Silver Heart Dazzles; Pebbles Pearlescent Chalks; Greetings & Labels stamps; 6 Layered Labels cutting dies; Onyx Black Versafine Archival Ink; White Gel Pen; Foam tape.

6. Ruth Manor says:

All printed papers used came from the “Lacy” paper pack. I also used the Hearts border punch on the picture matting. The flower and butterfly are from a K&C 3D pack. Red Raspberry ink is used for the circle stamp and the top right swirled Live well, Laugh Often, Love Much stamp. Green leaves under the butterfly are die cuts from Top Dog.com.

7. Ruth Manor says:

there is no button to attach a picture to my comments. I can do the browse to find it in My Pictures, but there is no way to attach it.

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Hi Ruth! I think you are on the right track – once you click “Browse” and find your photo, just select it and click “Open.” This attaches your file. Then just click “Submit Comment” and you should be able to see it posted!

Let me know if this doesn’t work. You could also send me your image and I could post it for you :). Thanks for participating!

8. Suzanne S says:

Happy National Scrapbooking Day!

Here’s a page I made in honor of my son’s birthday (he was born near Christmas, and absolutely keeps the spirit of Christmas in his heart all year long!) based on the second sketch. I used the Christmas Cheer paper pack, ribbon set, scrapbooking dazzles and Embellies; I also misted it with Ranger’s Perfect Pearls Mists, used Spellbinders Precious Metals craft pack for the photo mat and embossed it with the Wind and Waves folder, Christmas pack of glitter ribbon from American Crafts and Petaloo’s Burlap Poinsettias.

I had a lot of fun making this page, as well as two others for the Paper Wishes Forum Board’s challenges. Thanks for always inspiring me to come and play!

–Suzy

9. Marilyn Shaw says:

I used the Trail Blazer paper and dazzles from my Scrapbooking Personal Shopper. I used stamping as my technique using the Artful Affirmations Stamp set. Gold specialty paper. My daughter sent me this picture of my grandson, Leo. She took it with her cell phone so its not the best photography, but I really loved the picture.

10. Linda Holt says:

Happy National Scrapbooking Day! Thank you for sponsoring this contest and the fun activities on the Forum.

PW Blog Sketch Contest

Dream Vacation Layout 12×12 page, Sketch #1

HOTP Supplies: “Never Before Seen” Scrapbooking papers ( PS 8/2012); Shimmer Sheets; yellow vellum; 10 Tiny Things & Shadows cutting Dies; 12 Flower Frenzy cutting Dies; Pink dot Washi tape.
    Also from PW: Sizzix Triplits Flowers cutting dies; Spellbinders M-Bossabilities Infinity Embossing folder; white pigment ink; Tim Holtz Black Soot Distress Ink; Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers.

Techniques: 1. Dry Embossing and Inking Vellum. 2. Coloring vellum. 3. Inking edges of layers to create shadow and definition 4. Cutting Dies and Embossing Folders used 5. Paper Shaping to add shape to flowers

11. Daria Sikorski says:

Here is my entry. Supplies used:
    1. Boutique papers, Free Boutique download, and Gold Ripple Holographic paper,
    2. Lacy Border and 10 Tiny Things Plus Shadows cutting dies
    3. Gold Jewel Border dazzles
    4. Love 2 Scrap Pink Bling
    5. Gold Stickles

12. Daria Sikorski says:

Forgot to list the Postcard Pyramid.

13. Janice says:

Hello everyone. I usually work on genealogy and have never done a scrapbook page. I wanted to make my genealogy history books more exciting and this scrapbooking technique is just what I have been looking for. This is my first attempt at scrapbooking. This is just the first of many pages. I would like to thank you Paper Wishes for your beautiful paper, embellishing products and how to videos.

Techniques: I inked the edges of almost everything I cut out. I added a note about the subject. I guess this is called journaling.

Supplies I used:
    Alphabet foam 1″ letters and numbers.
    1/2 Brass fasteners (on car headlights, advertisement tag, and 3D flower center).
    Purple Flower Dazzles (the dot of the small letter i).
    Vintage Car Black Dazzles. (Place the dazzle on orange HOTP Halloween Papers first, cut out then paint the car with silver and gold using Smooch inks according to the directions on the back of the package).
    Antique Photo Corners Copper Metal Stickers (top right and bottom left corner of photo).
    5x5x1.5mm Thick 3D Foam Tabs (3D effect for car, advertisement tag, and flower)
    Offray 1 1/2″ black satin and sheer with silver threads ribbon
    Heritage Paper Pack Download
    Winter Flannels Paper Pack (brown snowflake and green plaid)
    HOTP Halloween Papers (orange and purple with black dots)

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Hi Janice! Thank you for your entry! I just sent you an email, so just reply with your photo and I’ll get it posted for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nancy S. says:

Love to see people try scrapbooking for the first time!

14. Janice says:

Will try to attach photo again. Where should I send it if this doesn’t work?

• Michelle Gustafson says:

15. Patty Hawkins says:

Paper wishes supplies used:
    Gypsy Jewels paper pack
    Red Suede Paper
    Design tool kits 4 &5

• Patty Hawkins says:

Don’t know if I attached my page correctly. I don’t see it.

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Hi Patty! I don’t see your page either – I just emailed you. Just reply with a photo of your page, and I’ll get it posted for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Patty Hawkins says:

Hi Michelle,

I know the deadline was this morning. However, I am at work and don’t have access to the photo. Is it possible to send tonight?

• Michelle Gustafson says:

Hi Patty! We have to announce our winner today, but if you can email a photo of your page by 5pm PST we will still consider your entry :). Thank you for participating!

16. Pam Kline says:

I used Mickey Mouse Simple backgrounds and plain paper from moms warehouse sale for this layout

17. Daria Sikorski says:

Here is a page using the other sketch. Products used:
    1. Big Bubbles, Blue Ripple Holographic and Blue Water Dots Print papers
    2. White, Black and Yellow card stock
    3. Black Banner Greetings dazzles
    4. 8 Circles & Scallops cutting dies
    5. Yellow Lalique Rubber Duckies and Yellow buttons

18. Michelle Gustafson says:

Here is Patty Hawkinsโ€™ entry:

Paper wishes supplies used:
    Gypsy Jewels paper pack
    Red Suede Paper
    Design tool kits 4 &5

19. Michelle Gustafson says:

Here is Janice’s entry:

Supplies I used:
    Alphabet foam 1? letters and numbers.
    Purple Flower Dazzles (the dot of the small letter i).
    5x5x1.5mm Thick 3D Foam Tabs (3D effect for car, advertisement tag, and flower)
    Offray 1 1/2? black satin and sheer with silver threads ribbon
    Heritage Paper Pack Download
    Winter Flannels Paper Pack (brown snowflake and green plaid)
    HOTP Halloween Papers (orange and purple with black dots)

• Nancy S. says:

Wow! Great for a first try! Glad to hear you say it’s the first of many. Come show us your work on the Message Board! (Forum).