Happy Birthday!

It’s Paper Wishes 15th Birthday (and Hot Off The Press’ 36th Birthday, that’s our parent company). So much goes into bringing you our designs and products, from the initial idea to design, manufacturing and packaging. In fact, during Hot Off The Press’ history, we’ve designed and produced 16,826 items just for you. WOW! And last year Paper Wishes sent 35 million emails because we have so much to share with you! So Happy Birthday Paper Wishes and Hot Off The Press! We owe all of our success to wonderful crafters like you.

Now that it’s the New Year I wanted to tell you about the 12 Top Sellers of 2016! You crafters really knew what you were doing by scooping up these amazing products for your projects. If you want a closer look, Bethany and I did a Facebook LIVE  post last week so be sure to check that out. We had a lot of fun!

Let’s talk about new products! I am completely taken by the new collection of Tim Holt Distress Crayons! I like them so much  I’m going to give you a preview of collections #4-7 that will be featured on this weeks What’s New Wednesday. I like to use stencils and the crayons, which are a smooth water-reactive pigments that are softer and, I think, easier to use than Gelatos®. Today I have a few of my favorite Distress Crayon Techniques.

This technique is really easy. Add color to the top edge of the petals and then pull the color down, filling in the lower portion of the pedal. You can use a sponge for this method, but I prefer to use my fingertips.

I used Fired Brick, from Set #7, on the petals.

The smooth texture of Distress Crayons makes them easy to manipulate.

Crushed Olive on the leaves.

Or try this one. Blend 2 different colors by placing one color next to the other allowing on the petals. Gradually mix in certain areas by blending, with sponge or fingertip, and stand alone in others.

I used Spun Sugar & Dried Marigold from set #5.

Here is my finished card! I used Circular Rose 6″x6″ Stencil, Distress Crayons #5, The Little Things Paper Pack and Ribbon Set and added some sparkle with Lilac Lane’s Winter Blues Embellishment Bottle and black ink for the greeting. Be sure to check out What’s New Wednesday tomorrow to find the Distress Crayons and much more!

If you’re like me you occasionally have trouble making more masculine cards for the men in your life. I was so excited to hear that on today’s First Look Week Of Webisodes (day 2) our Designers, Susan and Teresa, have created some amazing projects, that include both masculine and pretty feminine cards. The Timeless Treasures Collection is one of my favorites because it is so versatile.

That’s all for this week. Feel free to leave a comment about techniques you’re curious about and I’ll address them in coming weeks. Until then, happy crafting.

LeNae Gerig
Paper Wishes Blog

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

28 Responses to “Happy Birthday!”

1. Pat Smith says:

Thank you so much! And Happy New Year plus Happy Birthday to all of you.

2. Diane Lynne C. says:

Happy Birthday. I love your products. I own 4 of the Top 12 of 2016. I also LOVE $2.00 Tuesdays as I am building up my supplies again. (used tons for Christmas gifts)HOTP has the best designers, as your paper packs are so stunning and creative. Perhaps you can crate more collections for the male gender, say fishing or boasting. And for the female gender something in the vintage line from the 1920’s through 1940’s. (I loved the fashion and hair styles of these decades, Born in the wrong year, I guess.

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Diane, I will pass your suggestions on to our Graphic Design Team. We do have a collection of Seaside papers coming soon that have a nautical theme and Timeless Treasurers, available now, is wonderfully vintage. Thanks for the ideas.
      LeNae

3. Rhonda Swetlishoff says:

Another great read LeNae, Thank You!
    I see that the crayons blend well, do the finished images smear? Do you use an art fixative on your finished projects?
    Happy Birthday to Hot Off The Press and Paper Wishes!

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Ronda, I find that the crayons don’t smear at all once your project has air dried. The card I did for the blog has been sitting on my desk for a few days and the crayon is completely dry and can no longer be manipulated. This project wad done without water, but if you did use water it helps to fix the crayon and will dry even faster. Thanks for the question.
      LeNae

4. Barbara Martin says:

Happy Birthday to one of the best companies I’ve ever ordered from.

5. Barbara Merdian says:

To all HAPPY NEW YEAR & to Paper Wishes and Hot
    Off The Press HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Thank you all for giving me fun things to work on and with,can’t wait for this years fun things. Always

6. Debbie says:

Happy Birthday Paper Wishes!

7. Kim Folstrom says:

Well Happy Birthday to both Paper Wishes and Hot off the Press!!!
    Here’s to another 15 years and more!! Love your products and your people

8. Debbie says:

All of your techniques are amazing and so much fun to watch. Love watching every day. Keep em coming. Thank you so much. HOTP is the greatest and what great inspiration.

9. Lois JOHN says:

Happy Birthday to Paper Wishes and HOTP. It’s not hard to figure out why ou have been in business for so long with the excellent team of people and customer service you provide!!

10. Faye Thompson says:

Beautiful.

11. Valerie Breingan says:

Happy Birthday Paperwishes.Im so glad I found you.Looking forward to 15 more.

12. Cynthia S says:

Love the distress crayons and stencil technique!

13. Gorgeous technique with the stencils and crayons. I love stencils and have only just begun to play with the crayons. So much potential!

14. Sharon Perehudoff says:

Happy Birthday to my favorite company I love to order from. Like the stencil technique, would like to see more of wedding cards and papers hope to see some ideals very soon.

15. Lynn G says:

Happy Birthday Paper Wishes . I am very happy to do business with such a caring , sharing group of people .
    Hope you have many more years of success .

16. Conie says:

Happy New Year! Happy Birthday! Happy Me – ‘cuz I love your webisodes, emails, and product line. You guys are THE bestest!!

17. Rose Isch says:

Happy Birthday to Paper Wishes & Hot off the Press!! I have thoroughly enjoyed working with these two companies and am so glad to be a part of the personal shopper packages! Thank you and hope you continue to be successful!

18. Rosann says:

Beautiful card … must try technique ! I love those Distress Crayons !

19. Linda Winkler says:

Happy Birthday, Paper Wishes and HOTP!
    I really love your site and products. You are my first and usually only place to look for products I need or want. Thank goodness I have found your site. Wishing you many, many more years!

I really love the crayon and stencil technique and will definitely be using it with your help!

20. Vicki A. says:

Happy Birthday to PW and HOTP. Love your companies, and especially all of
    the nifty folks that work there. Love everything about your companies and all of the projects, and all of the supplies that cover so much of paper
    crafting. You folks are so nice and your teaching in Webisodes is always
    helpful. You can take the ideas and go hey, what if I try this or this, and
    get something so different, and yet so pleasing. You folks really get the
    “ole juices flowin”!!! As usual am looking so forward to a new year with you great folks.

Thanks so very much,
    Vicki

21. Helen Erich says:

Happy Birthday! Whenever I’m working with my beautiful paper packs and my friends ask where I got them I just look at them and then they all say “We know – Paper Wishes”. Love, love, love

22. Jean W says:

Happy Birthday! You are my favorite of all! I love the ideas, the products, the people, EVERYTHING!!! Many more years of success is wished for you!

23. Linda Hendy says:

Happy happy birthday!!!
    You are definitely the best. I love your ideas and the friendly staff. Keep those great inspirations coming. Thank you to you all

24. Savana says:

Happy Birthday Paper Wishes! These are just great. Thanks for sharing with us!

25. Jo-Anne says:

Happy Birthday Paulette and to PW and HOTP!!! Love everyone and everything!!! Thanks LeNae for the blog!! You’ll do great but keep up your beautiful designing!!! Can’t wait for tomorrow – WEDNESDAY!!!! Thanks! Jo-Anne