A Touch Of Spring

Hello Everyone! When I walked onto my back porch this morning there were actually buds on some of the flowering plants in my yard! (Nevermind that there is snow forecast for tomorrow!) This little glimpse of spring inspired the cards for today’s blog.

Over the past few weeks, the cards I have shown you are pretty strong on both texture and sparkle. I think both techniques are easy ways to give a handmade card a little something extra. Adding texture and dimension to a card can be as easy as adding a bow or using foam tape to give lift to a cut-out image. And sparkle? Well, it’s fun and whimsical, but also highlights those little details that you worked hard to achieve and they should be noticed, right?

The moment I saw the Lilac die set from Dee’s Distinctively Dies I just knew I would curl the flower petals to look like the Lilac bush in my  garden. I chose Picket Fence Paper Pack because of the beautiful colors and garden theme. I used a large stylus tool and, of all things, the back of my foam mouse pad, to achieve this look. Just a little rub on each petal makes them round. After assembling the blossoms I glued iridescent sequins to the center of many flowers to add some sparkle! I paired the lilac blossoms with Dee’s Calla Lily Leaf die, cut from green text paper, and brown cardstock for the veins.

On Wednesday, February 8 be sure to stop by our Weekly Webisodes and see more great cutting die projects with Paulette and Gail.

If you haven’t had the chance to play with the Watercolor Roses Stamp Set  I encourage you to give it a try right away! These large rose images are so versatile and fun to use. You can color them with pencils or Spectrum Noir Pens or traditional  watercolors.  I wanted to try something different and thought Fuchsia and Tangerine Color Burst powders would provide the vibrant color and Rich Gold Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder would provide the sparkle I was looking for.  You don’t need to know anything about watercolor painting to get this look and to prove it I made a little video to demonstrate just how easy it is. (Check it out below.)

I gold embossed the triple rose image onto watercolor paper and used a watercolor paintbrush and clear water to wet each rose petal. Then add the Color Burst powders, each mixed with water. Next, I added diluted gold Pixie Powder to the petals edges. Because the petal was wet before I painted on the color, the color will bleed, but only within the wet petal area. When I add the gold color, those 2 colors bleed/blend together, like magic! The key is to keep your brush very wet. I painted the leaves with water then Olive Green Color Burst and water, then went back over the center of each leaf to darken it.

Of course, I had to add a little dimension with half pearls from Just Peach Embellishment Bottle, gold crepe ribbon and Gold Jewel Border Dazzles™ along the borders between the green and pink dot Colorists Papers.

Are you new to stamping? Or have to done it FOREVER and want to get your friends involved? Well, recently we updated our 101 sites (Scrapbooking 101, Cardmaking 101 and Stamping 101) and they are filled with more of my short little how to videos. They can be found on the bottom of the Paper Wishes home page or you can click here to visit Stamping 101.

Thanks for stopping by and loving cardmaking right along with me. Have a wonderful week and please feel free to leave a comment. I LOVE to hear from you. Happy Crafting!

LeNae Gerig

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

12 Responses to “A Touch Of Spring”

1. Carol says:

I really enjoy your blogs and all of your instructional videos! Thanks so much!

2. Diane Lynne C. says:

I love the detail that the WOW embossing powder gets for the rose stamp. You can see the smallest detail. Please remind me once again how to care for my HOTP clear stamps. What PW product do you suggest that I clean them with? I know you do not suggest baby wipes.

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Diane, we actually just use soap and water when cleaning our stamps. Paper Wipes are fine too as long as they don’t have alcohol in them. For inks like StazOn then the StazOn cleaner is the best.
      Thanks for checking in,
      LeNae

3. Carole Mitchell says:

I had been having trouble with water color and I was so excited to see how its
    “really” done. Thank you so much for the demo. Now I’m off to try this for
    myself.

4. Carol Jones says:

These are beautiful and I’ve been wondering about those color bursts & how they’re used. I think I’m just going to have to try this! Thanks for your samples & videos, I find them very helpful and I’ve been papercrafting for almost 20 years!

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Carol, one thing I should have shown on the video is how I wet my brush and then dip into the dry Color Burst powder, mix a little on a plastic surface and then apply to wet petals. I’m so glad you’re going to give it a try!
      LeNae

5. Nona says:

Hi LeNae,
    I really like this beautiful card. Although my coloring skills are not that great I am going to give this one a try!
    Thanks,
    Nona

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Nona, it is always good to dry something new. Watercolors are very forgiving so don’t be afraid to just jump in!
      LeNae

6. Rosie says:

Wow love how you used the color burst. I was just making up an order to send in and wanting to try the color burst but having trouble deciding on what colors to try, now i think i know what i want. Just one question, did you just put some powder on a mat then dip the brush in?
    Thanks

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Rosie, yes just a few drops of water next to (but not touching) the color burst powder. I would dip my brush in water and then a little powder and sometimes the other way around ;o)
      LeNae