Designer Challenge!

Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone! To celebrate the day we are having a Designer Challenge, featuring my fellow Paper Wishes Design Team members Susan, Gail and Debbie! The 4 of us have been working together for years, each bringing something different to the team. I proposed that all of us use the same materials to create the card of our choice to highlight our own unique styles.

We were each given the same components from Little Birdies Artful Card Kit and Ribbon Set as well as a variety of Jewel Dazzles™ and Jewel Border Dazzles™ in Black, Red, Gold and Lime. Both Red and Gold Stickles Glitter Glue were also available.

I love what Susan did with her card! It’s so pretty and feminine. Here is what Susan said about her card:

“I chose to do a simple cutaway-style card, created by trimming off 1″ from the opening edge of the card front. Visually, the contrasting paper on the inside becomes part of the card front. I featured the pretty border of the light pink paper near the cutaway edge which draws the eye to it, and placed the large love birds oval die cut so it overlaps the edge of the front and the darker pink paper on the inside.”

Debbie’s card is a real show stopper! Our die-cut easel cards don’t take long to make and I always think they look so cute on display. Here is what Debbie had to say about her card:

“The heart shapes on this Artful Card Kit immediately made me think of the Triple Heart Easel Die-Cut Card. It really made for a quick and easy card! Just make sure to fold the flap for each heart really well so they stay in place when standing.”

Gail’s beautiful cutaway/easel card would make a cherished Valentine for anyone! I love the knotted ribbon border! Here is what Gail said about her card:

“I love this combination cutaway/easel card, because the greeting can be seen even when the card is open and on display! The variety of die-cut sizes make them perfect for this style of card. Open your card and cut 1/2″ from the bottom edge of the front panel, then cut 2 1/4″ from the left side, just up to the fold. Cover the front and inside with your papers, then score across the center of the front panel and mountain fold to make your easel. Then just foam tape your die-cuts in place. Be sure to only attach the large heart onto the bottom half of your front card panel, so it will still mountain fold, and use a foam taped die-cut on the inside to prop up our easel. I loved threading the knotted ribbons through the heart frame. So fun!”

Finally, here is my contribution. I kept it pretty simple, making a border from the rose die-cuts and foam taping the center roses to add some lift. I separated red heart with birds from its pink frame heart and placed the black/gold border between them. I coordinated the bow with the lime green paper on the card bottom so things looked pulled together and I had to get some glitter glue in there so I put it on the flower centers and border.

If you love Artful Card Kits as much as our design team does, then you will be excited to know that Paper Wishes has 2 NEW kits coming in March: Romantic Butterflies & Watercolor Butterflies. Click here to check out all of our Artful Card Kits. I’m sure you’ll find one that is just right for you.

With all of the stress and disharmony in the world today, Paper Wishes wants to promote KINDNESS. We think one way to do this is by sending good wishes and being little kinder on a daily basis. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day and we support that! An extra “Thank You” and a smile can go a long way. To help you spread kindness we are including a FREE download today and encourage you to share the love and brighten someone’s day with a card.

Thank you for stopping by and checking out what Paper Wishes has to share. Happy Valentine’s Day and remember to share love and kindness with others. It will make others feel great and simply make you a happier human being. Happy crafting!

LeNae Gerig

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

14 Responses to “Designer Challenge!”

1. Jo-Anne says:

What a great idea! It was so interesting to see the four of you designers and the differences in your designs!!! Great work!!! Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you!!!

2. Pat says:

Wow, that was an amazing challenge. It just goes to show you that four people can see the same materials differently. They are all beautiful and thank you for sharing that with all of us.

3. Valerie Breingan says:

OMGOSH I’m in love with the versatility of these supplies.All of you did an incredible job.Gail your noted ribbon is Gorgeous. You All Rock.Can’t wait to see the new.

• LeNae Gerig says:

Thanks Valerie. the Little Birdies Artful Card Kit is one of my favorites! The other die-cut sheets are a little less Valentine-which as you mentioned makes the kit super versatile.
      LeNae

4. Marie Mar says:

Beautiful cards…all of them. I made one for my sister who has been wanting a photo of me. I finally had one of my 70 year old self taken to use for Christmas and Valentine gifts. I used beige card stock, a large medallion from the dreams paper kit and made a gate fold card and belly band.(Black Band) On the large side of the inside, I glued the photograph. I decorated the outside and the inside flaps of the gate folds with stick on butterflies that are very colorful from Martha Stewart (found in a drawer 🙂 My sister loved it. It made a great folder for giving a photograph and stands up well for display. In the 40’s and 50’s, photographers used to put photographs in gate fold folders (less any kind of closure) as a service. I haven’t seen one for a long time. Just wanted to share a good gift and some Victorian Nostalgia. My computer has outgrown my printer software so I could not include an image. I will soon rectify that!

5. Karla Bostic says:

I loved seeing each of your creations. I just used this card kit to make some of my Valentine cards for my lady friends who are single. I told each they deserved to feel special and loved.

6. Kathy Serrahn says:

gorgeous cards, very interesting how everyone took the same products and made it very different

7. Caroline B says:

I love this concept! I hope you will consider making it monthly event? It is fun to see what elements inspire others. All the projects are gorgeous, of course!

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Caroline, thanks so much for your feedback. I think we should do this more often too. I love hearing what our readers think and want.
      LeNae