Something For Dad & Family Celebrations!

Hello everyone! Father’s Day is approaching and I have a little crafty inspiration for you!

This Coaster Set features photocopy transfers and Family & Friends Black Dazzles™ Stickers on one side and Coffee Mugs Dazzles™ Stickers on the other! To make this set you will need several good quality photocopies, Translucent Embossing Paste and a Mini Squeegee. The steps to transfer a photocopy are very easy and I’ll walk you through them.

First, use the Mini Squeegee to apply Translucent Embossing Paste to one side of a coaster. The embossing paste is 100% acrylic emulsion which makes it water-soluble, but it becomes water-resistant when dry.

Place the photocopy picture-side down on the paste-covered coaster. You may want to reverse your photo, using digital photo software, if your image contains numbers or letters because the image will be reversed once transferred.

Use the Mini Squeegee to smooth out the back of the photocopy to remove any air bubbles or thickness in the paste. Let the paste dry for at least 8 hours.

Wet the paper side of the coaster with water and gently begin to rub the paper layer away until the photo image begins to reveal itself.

Add more water if necessary and continue to rub away the paper fibers. When you are finished removing the paper fibers, let the coaster dry for several hours.

Use the Mini Squeegee to apply a thin layer of Translucent Embossing Paste to seal each photocopy side of the Coaster Set and let dry. Paint the wood side of each coaster piece and the stand with Gold Cosmic Shimmer Paint and let dry. Personalize with “Dad” or “Grandpa” Family & Friends Black Dazzles™ Stickers. Use Craft Tacky Glue to glue the holder side pieces into the base and let dry. Place Coffee Mugs Dazzles™ Stickers on the coaster holder sides and on the gold painted back of each coaster (you will need several sheets of Dazzles™ Stickers if you want large coffee mugs on all of the coasters).

I like the idea of doing a “Family” banner, using 8″ Tall Chipboard Letters that can be used year round or brought out for special family celebrations, like Father’s Day.

Each letter is uniquely decorated. I found the best way to approach this was to do a little planning and lay out the letters and cover each with a different patterned paper from Romantique Paper Pack. Punch 1/8″ evenly spaced holes across the top of the letters using a power punch like Crop-A-Dile.

Lightly sand Swirls & Flourishes Foiled Fancies™ with a sanding block and glue to the letters using Craft Tacky Glue. Embellish letters with Romantique Ribbon Set, Pink and Yellow Rosettes and Pink Mini Roses. For a finishing touch I added buttons and half pearls from Cotton Candy Embellishment Bottle and Acetate Butterflies. Thread the letters with a length of Blueberry Twine Cording and tie loops at each end for hanging.

Thanks stopping by and I hope you come away with some inspiration for your family celebrations!

Happy Crafting!

LeNae Gerig

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

17 Responses to “Something For Dad & Family Celebrations!”

1. S Carp Rick says:

This is perfect timing for the photo transfer, I need to do this on several wooden boxes for my daughters upcoming wedding. What kind of paper and ink was the photo printed with for the transfer? Was it photo paper and inkjet printed or just a photo copy on plain paper with toner?

• LeNae Gerig says:

I just used a standard color photo copy on white photo copy paper-the thinner the paper the better.
      LeNae

2. Sharon Perehudoff says:

LeNae, really great ideals for sure never would have thought doing the photo on a coaster. Also like the Family that is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

3. Jo-Anne says:

Thanks LeNae for this blog! Quite a while ago, I purchased this coaster set from Paper Wishes and never did anything with it!! So, now I will! Thanks for the ideas!! Jo-Anne

4. Jo-Anne says:

PS – I wish you did a little video on this process – I’d rather watch than read!!! Ha-ha!

5. Pat says:

Lovely idea with the coasters. Any Dad would be happy to receive those.

6. Norma says:

What cute ideas LeNae, thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to start on these projects. My family will love the ‘family’ banner I’m making for each family. Once again Thanks for the ideas. Jean

7. Carol Jones says:

Beautiful stuff LeNae! Thanks for doing this blog.

8. Karen says:

What a great idea for photo’s you want to treasure!! Can you transfer on to glass using this technique as well?

9. Faye Thompson says:

LeNae, thank you for the beautiful ideas.

10. Diane Lynne C. says:

LeNae, your coasters are a fantastic idea, especially for Father’s Day. I can see me making these for my DAD as he is so hard to buy for. He only has one grandchild (mine) and I could do an age progression using the photo’s of our son. Hmmm.

11. Karen says:

LeNea, I tried this technique on glass and it does work….sort of. When I rubbed the backing off the whole photo would not stay on glass, so I removed all the backing and then used a coat of Embossing paste on the back of photo and reset it on the glass. I used a Mason jar for this, used a photo of a lake where we vacation. After it was good and dry I sealed the photo and then used the Sea Side Wood pieces to decorate “the lake”. Filled the jar with shells from the trip and finished it off with jute ties on the lid. I tied and anchor and ships wheel on to the ends. Instead of the shells you could put a tea light in side, the lake will glow when you turn it on. It was fun to play with the whole techinque, thanks for the idea.

• LeNae Gerig says:

That’s so great Karen! I’m glad you gave it a try and had success! I love the feeling of just working through something until it works! Thanks for sharing.
      LeNae