Chalk Paint

Are you curious about chalk paint? What is it and what does it do? Chalk Paint is actually a trademarked brand by British artist Annie Sloan, but other companies have developed similar paints. Chalk paint can be used on wood and it creates a chalky look that can easily be distressed for a vintage look. When diluted with water it can even dye fabric!

Ken Oliver Chalky Base Paint is a white chalk paint that is made to use as-is or to tint with your favorite Color Burst powders. This makes the paint completely customizable, which is a great feature!

For this whimsical birdhouse (quantities are limited), I mixed Ken Oliver Chalky Base Paint White with Color Burst Ultramarine Blue to get my favorite shade of robin’s egg blue.

To give the birdhouse a shabby chic look, I painted directly over the torn paper edges of the aqua blue Robin’s Paper Pack. After assembling the house using Craft Tacky Glue I embellished it with Robin’s Red Die-Cuts, White Rick Rack From Picnic Ribbon Set and White Wildflowers.

I continued the look of my birdhouse with a cute Wood Desk Caddy. Again I used the Ken Oliver Chalky Base Paint White and the Color Burst Ultramarine Blue to make robin’s egg blue paint. I used the end of my paintbrush handle to make white dip dots from the white chalk paint. Instead of chalk, I used Painted Lace Scrapbooking Dazzles™ Stickers on the chalkboard front and embellished the box with red gingham from Picnic Ribbon SetWhite Wildflowers and Winter Blue Buttons. So cute for my crafting space!

I encourage you to give Ken Oliver Chalky Base Paint White and Color Burst powders a try and customize colors to your hearts content! Happy crafting!

LeNae Gerig

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

7 Responses to “Chalk Paint”

1. Sharon says:

Thanks for sharing another great product LeNae. Will give it a try later on.

2. Valerie Breingan says:

Wow!did not no I could mix like this.This is gorgeous.

3. Pat says:

Was surprised to see yet another use for Color Burst. I bought this months ago and haven’t used it once. Guess it’s time to get it out of the package. Thank you.

4. Marie Mar says:

This makes a beautiful finish, but is different then I thought. I must be thinking of something else. Is there a solid chalk that can be used with stamps? The birdhouse is very pretty. You do good work 🙂

5. Becca Sadler says:

The birdhouse is cute and the caddy also serves as inspiration for your workspace, so I like that it’s multi-purpose. Thanks for sharing how to tint chalk paints!

6. Carol Jones says:

Great projects! Good to learn a new way to use Color Bursts. Thanks LeNae!