Happy Birthday To You
By: Susan Cobb
It’s easy to create a tag-shaped card—simply trim away the top corners. Rather than covering the card with brown cardstock, I inked the card 1/2” around the edge for a nice dark brown border before adding paper. I fashioned a flower from contrasting patterned papers (these papers are double-sided so it’s easy!) cut into simple shapes, then crinkled. The flowers turn out best if the circles aren’t perfectly round; so don’t worry about the shapes.
- Color Me Gold Swirls Paper (link)
- Kaleidoscope Paper Pack (link)
- Boutique Ribbon Set—12” length of lime mini rick-rack, 20” of 1/8” wide teal grosgrain ribbon (link)
- Birthday Greetings Stamp set (link)
- Acrylic block (link)
- 5”x6 1/2" blank white card (link)
- Dark brown ColorBox Fluid Chalk ink pad (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Zots™ adhesive dots (link)
- Damp paper towel
- Flower and leaf patterns (download PDF)
- Place your card with the fold at the left. Measure 1” in both directions from the upper right corner of the card and mark with a pencil. Trim away the corner between the two marks. Repeat for the upper left corner. Ink 1/2" around the edge of the card front with dark brown ink and let dry.
- Cut a 4 3/4"x6 1/8” rectangle from striped paper, and then trim the top corners as you did for the card, but measure 7/8” from each top corner rather than 1”. Glue lime mini rick-rack across the paper, 1/4” from the top, trimming edges evenly with the paper. Glue teal ribbon across the paper 1/4” from the bottom. Glue the paper centered to the card front. Tie a teal bow and Zots™ it over the ribbon as shown.
- Stamp “happy Birthday to you” with dark brown ink on yellow grid paper. Trim to a 4 1/4"x 1 3/4" rectangle and ink the edges. Fold the ends over 1/4" so the green/red circles paper shows. Ink the edges and glue folds in place. Glue lime mini rick-rack across the bottom edge trimming ends evenly. Mat on pink tiles paper leaving a 1/8” border. Ink the edges, then glue centered to the card front, 1 3/4” from the bottom.
- Cut a 2 1/4” circle and a 1 3/4" circle from the pink tiles/yellow tiny flowers paper. I have included patterns, but don’t worry about them being exact. Place the large circle on the damp paper towel, then take both together in your hand and crumple. Take the paper out of the paper towel and crumple again, then smooth it out and let dry, pink side up. Ink edges with brown ink. Repeat for the small circle, but let it dry with the tiny flowers side up. Use the pattern to cut out 2 leaves from green circles paper. Dampen and crumple the leaves as well, then ink the edges brown.
- Layer the circles together with foam tape to form the flower. Layer the leaves together as shown. Foam tape to the card as shown. Cut out a teal flower from brown floral paper and foam tape to the center of the flower.
- Cut a 5”x3 1/4" striped paper rectangle and ink the edges. Glue teal ribbon across the paper, 5/8” from the bottom. Glue paper centered across the inside. Stamp “Celebrate!” with brown ink onto yellow grid paper. Trim to a 4”x1 1/8” rectangle and ink the edges. Fold the ends in 1/4" and ink the edges. Glue in place. Mat on pink tiles paper leaving a 1/8” border. Ink the edges. Glue lime mini rick-rack across the bottom edge of the yellow paper, trimming evenly as shown. Glue centered to the striped paper.