By: Susan Cobb
Susan's Tip: Create a simple easel card base from cardstock, and decorate with Lacy Labels die-cut shapes and darling Janie’s Friends stamps!
- Homeward Bound Double-Sided Paper Pack
- Homeward Bound Ribbons Set
- Homeward Bound Embellies
- Janie’s Girlfriends Stamp Set
- Acrylic Block
- 3 Lacy Labels Cutting Dies
- Gold Star Jewel Dazzles™
- Black SurfaceZ ink pad
- Dark Brown Chalk ink pad
- Art Grip Watercolor Pencil Sets: Reds 121 & 124; Blues 141 & 143; Yellows 105; Neutrals 176 & 131; Greens 168
- Ivory & black cardstock
- Die Cutting Machine
- Zots™ Adhesive Dots
- Foam tape
- Glue stick
- X-acto® knife
- Small container of water
- Paper towel
- Easel Card base: Cut an 11 3/4"x4 3/4" piece of ivory cardstock and fold in half with short sides together. Place the fold at the top and open the card. Fold the top half of the card in half again. Smooth the front out flat and close the card.
- Front: Cover the bottom half of the card with Homeward Bound red/blue/ivory striped paper and ink the edges brown. Cover the top half of the card with ivory textured paper. Ink the edges brown. Cut a 4 3/4"x1/2” striped paper and ink the edges brown. Glue even with the top fold of the card.
- Use the large Lacy Label cutting die and your die cutting machine to cut 1 label/frame each from Homeward Bound blue textured paper and ivory cardstock. Set the blue label and ivory frame aside for another project. Glue the blue frame on ivory textured paper and trim the edges even with the frame. Ink the edges brown. Mat on red textured paper with 1/4" borders. Ink the edges brown.
- Stamp the Janie’s Girlfriends image centered on the ivory cardstock label with Black SurfaceZ ink. Foam tape the label centered inside the blue frame.
- Use the watercolor pencils to color in the stamped images as follows: Dip the small paint brush (included in the pencil sets) in water and obtain a small amount of color from the #131 pencil, then color in the skin. Use the #124 pencil in the same manner for the cheeks and lips. Dip the tip of the #105 pencil to color in the girl’s yellow hair. Use the #121 pencil to color in the red dress and red flowers. Use the #176 pencil to color brown on top of the red areas. Use the damp brush to blend the two colors together to create a muted red color. Use the #143 pencil to color in the blue areas of the hat, bow, and dresses, then add #141 and #176 over the blue. Use the damp brush to blend the colors together to create a muted blue color. Use the #168 pencil for the green leaves. Use the #176 for the brown hair.
- Glue the bottom half of the matted label on the bottom half of the card front. Stamp “BFF” centered on the Embellies™ small tag with black ink. Add a red brad to the top of the tag and foam tape it on the left side of the label. Embellish the blue frame, red mat, and tag with Gold Star Jewel Dazzles™. Use 1/2" wide brown grosgrain ribbon to tie a bow. Zot™ on the left side of the card near the top.
- Inside: Cover the inside with Homeward Bound blue textured paper and ink the edges brown. Glue brown grosgrain ribbon across the card, 1 1/4" from the bottom. Die cut one medium label/frame each from Homeward Bound red textured paper and ivory cardstock. Glue the red frame on Homeward Bound ivory textured paper and trim the edges evenly with the red frame. Ink the edges brown. Cut two 3”x1/4” Homeward Bound striped paper and ink the edges brown. Glue across the top and bottom of the medium ivory cardstock label with 1/16” borders showing. Trim sides evenly. Stamp “Best Friends” centered on the label with black ink. Glue centered inside the red frame. Add an Embellies™ brad at each end of the label. Foam tape centered on the brown ribbon. Add Gold Star Jewel Dazzles™ as shown.
- When open, prop the card front behind the foam taped label on the inside.