Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//index.php)
-   A Question for You (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rubber stamps (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3653)

KarenH 01-09-2014 10:47 AM

Rubber stamps

I now purchase acrylic or clear stamp sets and have also gotten some UNmounted rubber stamps. However, I have 12 clear shoe boxes full of mounted rubber stamps. I love them all, don't want to part with them, but those boxes take up a lot of space on my craft shelves. Recently I read and seen several articles on removing the rubber from the wooden blocks and storing them in binders in protective sheets.

I'm interested in learning if anyone on the MB has done this to save space in their own collections and if so, did it work well for you?

If you did unmount them, what storage method did you use?

Trying to get more organized in 2014!!!

KarenH :D

gramajackie 01-09-2014 12:34 PM

Hi Karen,
I did this last fall. I scoured the net and found some Youtube videos on doing this. I just simply pulled the rubber off of the blocks. You can buy a foam cling pad to put on the back of them or what I did with some of the older ones ( I put some wet glue on the back and let it dry) I used the Blue two way glue made and sold by EK-success. I believe PW sells it. I then put my stamps on plastic sheets made especially for holding cling stamps.
I put them all in note books 5 and a half inches by 8. I ordered those from staples. I have yet to alphabatise them. I tried using the larger note books but they just seemed too big to handle.
I also got a good deal on CD cases and have some of them in those. I stamped the images on paper and slipped them in the cover.

Bootsie 01-09-2014 01:17 PM

Jackie, that's quite the undertaking, WTG!

pennyd 01-09-2014 03:49 PM

I unmounted all of my rubber stamps a couple of years ago. Jackie is right, you just peel the rubber off the wood block. However, I then used EZ mount sheets. I prefer the EZ mount to using some kind of glue. If you go this route, when you have unmounted your stamps, you should clean as much of the glue off the back of the rubber stamp as you can. I then placed them on the EZ mount sheet as close together as I could get (EZ mount isn't exactly cheap). I have a craft hot knife and I used that to cut through the EZ and get clean edges for my stamps. Because I used the knife, I was able to get more stamps on each sheet. Besides, cutting them with the knife was fun! If I bought more wood mounted stamps (which of course, I did:rolleyes:) I took them off the block and added them to an EZ mount sheet until it was full.

I originally kept my stamps in 3 ring binders, but they got to big and bulky. When I first started to change my storage, I used VHS cases, now though I use CD cases (the taller ones, like Stampin' Up uses) and I like them better. You can't get as many in, but I've never had to separate a set. In the CD cases, I just put the stamps on the case itself and they stay fine. For the VHS cases, I cut sheets of acrylic (actually I used a lot of packaging - I cut it and then cleaned it with alcohol) and I could fit several sheets of acrylic in one case. I either stamped each image or photo-copied the backing sheet for the stamps and put it on the case.

I am still struggling with how to store my stamp/die combos. I've got several different methods now, trying to figure out which works the best for me. I have the Stamp and Die System, but I am finding that my acrylic stamps aren't staying on very well, especially small stamps. The good news is the case is closed so the stamps don't get lost. Another system, and the one I think I will switch to is taping a piece of magnet onto one side of the CD case and storing the stamps and dies together.

I have a huge 3-ring binder with all my stamps indexed first by manufacturer (which is how the stamps are stored) and then I have them by theme/holiday/type. Each CD or VHS case has the name of the company and is numbered. I can look through my index and go right to the particular case I need.

Whew!! I had a lot to say (surprise, surprise :D). If you are interested, I can take a few pics of what I have.

Bootsie 01-10-2014 07:39 AM

Penny, I would love pictures. It sounds like a great system! What did you do with the blocks of wood, other crafty things?

live4paper 01-10-2014 11:52 AM

I don't think I will ever be that organized! I too would love pictures of that process Penny. Sometimes I am so impressed on what you people can do!

KarenH 01-10-2014 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tips, Penny. I was thinking of using the EZ mount foam, but I know I don't have enough. I would also be interested in seeing some pics of your CD storage system.
Those cases are pretty thin, depending on the size of the stamp, can you get more than a couple in each case? I can see where storing those would take up a lot less room.

pennyd 01-13-2014 03:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have a bunch of pics - hope they show you what you were looking for. Will probably be 2 posts.

The first 2 shots are 2 different pics of stamp storage. The 2nd pic is an 8 foot long shelf over my work desk.

The next 2 are of my binder - the first pic is from the HOTP section - each company has their own section in the front of the binder. The page shows that I have 3 sets (Medallions & Corners, Far East and Artful Collection) stored in VHS case #4 which is in the picture.

The 4th and 5th pics are of sentiment pages in the 2nd part of my binder - where stamps are listed by type. Each stamp set has the number of the case where the stamps are stored.

More pics in next post.

pennyd 01-13-2014 04:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Karen asked how many stamps I can store in the cases. The first pic is the sleeve of a vhs case and the 2nd pic is the actual stamps. Same with next 2 pics - this case has 4 stamp sets in it!

The last pic is of a CD case - this particular one has 6 sets in it - the size is bigger than small stamps. I have found I can have 3-4 layers of acrylic stamps in the cd cases. I can get 2 layers of ezmount stamps in a cd case if it is the thin mount.

I re-read my first post about using acrylic to store stamps on which is how all the sentiment stamps in pic 4 are stored. I realized I stopped doing that b/c it is hard to figure out what the stamps are. Now I keep the stamps on their cover sheets and cut the set apart to fit in whichever case I'm using. I can get more in a case if I use the acrylic sheets, but I like keeping them on the sheets better.

I hope this helps Karen.

Bootsie 01-13-2014 06:23 PM

Penny, you have good system. Thanks for sharing the pics!