Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//index.php)
-   Weekly Challenges (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   January Week 4 Challenge Due 1/25/2014 (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3677)

pennyd 01-19-2014 11:29 AM

January Week 4 Challenge Due 1/25/2014

4 Attachment(s)
This week our challenge is cracked glass embossing. I love all things heat embossed and this technique is all about that.

I found a tutorial at Scrapbook and Cards today that does a great job at explaining the technique here.

My card using Masculine Collage stamps was done with 4 coats of UTEE before I allowed it to cool. The close-up photo shows the different kinds of cracking you can achieve from thick cracks to feathering and in a few spots, I lost the embossed coating completely. I went over the cracks with Distress Inks and an applicator; I wanted some deep color on the cracks, so I gently bent the piece in the same direction as at first to get more color.

Allison shows the technique only using UTEE, but it can be done with regular embossing powder also as my 2nd card shows. I used 6 coats of regular clear EP on this focal. 5 would probably have been enough, but I didn't stop there. I can't really see or feel any difference in the 2 focals, so I feel it is just a matter of what you have on hand.

Give it a try! To be eligible for the monthly drawing, you must post a picture of your project in this thread by January 25. As always, please use as many PW available products as possible. Have fun - and don't burn your fingers:o.

SamB 01-19-2014 04:11 PM

LOVE this look - and didn't know you could do it with EP - great challenge Penny!!!

KarenH 01-20-2014 11:47 AM

Interesting challenge...I would like to try this technique. I'm always intrigued by new procedures; however, I'm not sure if I really like the "cracked" look.

gramajackie 01-20-2014 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did it .....I think.

JudyH 01-20-2014 07:36 PM

Yup, looks like it! Very pretty, Jackie.

Bootsie 01-21-2014 06:00 AM

Nice card Jackie! This technique is on my to do list, I've never done it.

pennyd 01-21-2014 06:17 AM

Yup, you did it Jackie - very nice! Thanks for playing.

Karen, Rhonda - give it a whirl, you got nothing to lose and $15 to win...

Irishlady 01-21-2014 01:35 PM

Nice cards, ladies. The rose reminds me of stained glass in a way. Judi

PJmeemaw 01-22-2014 09:14 AM

An intriguing technique. I have seen something else done with this UTEE before. I do not have any, however. Wondering how much weight that would add to a card. Postage going up, etc. Have fun with this one, gals. I'm going to have to pass since I don't have the supplies.

Robn C 01-22-2014 09:21 AM

I hope to get to try this. I am not sure if I like the look either but photos don't always make cards look as good as they do in person. I love embossing. It's why I started stamping.