Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//index.php)
-   Monthly Guest Host Challenges (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Inspired by challenge #1, April 2014 (http://www.paperwishes.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3843)

pennyd 04-15-2014 07:30 AM

Inspired by challenge #1, April 2014

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the swaps team's newest challenge! This challenge will replace the monthly guest host challenge.

Each month, one board member's albums will be used to provide inspiration for the challenge. We have decided to use the previous month's gift certificate winner as the person to be focused on. Daria (BBCmom) was the March 2014 winner and she is our first challenge. We won't use the same person again for the next year, so if there is a repeat winner, a different person will be selected. I will PM you to get your permission to use your art for this challenge, if you decline, I will select another member.

The rules are simple.
1. Browse through the member's albums and pick a project that inspires you in some way and make your own project based on it.
2. Your project can be a card, scrapbook page, 3D project, home decor, etc. Basically anything that is a paper project and uses primarily supplies available on the PW website; either current or older no longer carried products are ok. Supplies do not have to be Paper Wishes brand, but sold on the website.
2. Post a link to the project that inspired you here in this thread along with your own project. Tell us what caught your eye and how you interpreted it.
3. You can copy the project exactly using different papers, use it as a sketch, pick a certain feature to use as a starting point, use the same color scheme, etc.

This challenge will not be part of the monthly prize drawing and is just for fun. I know there is a similar challenge on Splitcoast Stamper's, so this is not an original idea!

We hope you enjoy this challenge. Whether you decide to participate or not, please give us some feedback on this and the other challenges we host. Positive or negative feedback is ok, we want this board to be a fun, welcoming place!

Daria's albums are available on her profile page. In the bottom, right hand corner there are pictures from 2 of her albums and a button to "show all albums" which will then display all 5 of her albums.

I have 2 examples for the challenge - hopefully they will answer any questions you may have - if not, be sure to ask!

Card#1 I used this card for inspiration. I liked the diecut of the 2 hearts that are joined together as one piece. I decided to try that using the PW butterfly dies. I cut the medium outline die twice overlapping them to get the look I wanted. I glued a coordinating PP under the floral paper and then the butterflies in the negative space. After I made this card I was looking through my PW templates for another project and noticed the 25 Hearts template has the 2 joined hearts! I could have saved myself a lot of work...:rolleyes:

Card #2 For some reason, this card reminded me of old-fashioned trains circus' used in old movies. I know the card features a birthday cake, but I saw a train!:eek: It took me a couple of tries, but I created a train template out of cardstock and various colors of glitter paper. My favorite part of this card is the smoke coming out of the stack! As a side note, the silver flags are actually left over pieces of paper from cutting the border die I used on this card. They've been sitting on my craft table for 2 weeks, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away.

Please join in and play our newest challenge! Remember, any ?, post them here.

bbcmom 04-15-2014 07:44 AM

Great cards and I love what you did with the butterflies!

KarenH 04-15-2014 10:01 AM

Wow, great challenge swaps team.

SamB 04-15-2014 12:20 PM

All Penny's brainstorm, she deserves the credit!

gramajackie 04-15-2014 04:45 PM

LOL Penny, you crack me up.....you are a true artist when you see a train in a birthday cake!!! I love it.

LindaH61 04-16-2014 12:04 PM

Wow! I love this challenge! I love Daria's cards, so this is a great excuse to CASE one! Thanks, in advance, Daria!

SandersNan 04-16-2014 12:15 PM

This should be fun to see what everyone picks and what they do with their selection! And it's a reminder to me that I haven't put anything in my album in quite a while!!

supermum 04-16-2014 12:30 PM

Ditto Nancy I just had a look in mine too! I spotted some from when the MB started back in 2009.....oh my is all I'll say!

pennyd 04-19-2014 10:32 AM

I'm bumping this up - doesn't anyone want to play?

supermum 04-19-2014 01:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I chose the green birthday below from Daria's album as my inspiration because I liked the clean simple theme but I particularly like the diagonal ribbon with the border that echoed the border on the focal. I tweaked the design to suit my element and I hope you think I did it justice Daria!!
Great challenge too Penny I enjoyed it, thanks!