paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum > Other Topics > Hints & Tips

Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Default Cuttlebug Vs Cricut

I (much to my surprise) got a Cricut for Christmas. I already have a Cuttlebug that I love. The learning curve on the Cricut seems to be pretty steep for me. I was wondering about what y'all use most.

I love all the new HOTP dies and enjoy manual die cutting. I really don't like to have a computer as part of my crafting except the occasional journaling. So really I guess I want to know if you have both of them what do you use most and how do you incorporate the Cricut into your crafting. Do you cut out a bunch of stuff and just use it when you need something?

Also any good places for find tutorials on the web. I have found a few but not as many as I hoped. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Swap Organizer

Robin, as I've posted before I had a Cricut and eventually sold it. I didn't like the expense of having to buy cartridges when I may have wanted 1 or 2 things. I also felt that many of the cut pieces lacked the depth and dimension of a stamp and die combo. I have never missed my Cricut and continue to use and love my Big Shot and an Ebosser.

Visit my blog: http://www.pennydouph.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to pennyd For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

I have a Cricut and a Big Shot. The Big Shot gets the most use.. I love using dies and I think they are my most favorite crafting tool. I occasionally use the Cricut but it's so time consuming to get out the sticky mat, find a cartridge that has the item on it that I need and then try to figure out what size to cut the item to make it work for me... I have some of the most used items listed on a chart along with the name of the cartridge and what size to cut, that saves a little time... but not much... I guess it's just how much trouble you want to go to to get the desired effect...
God bless
Nyoka
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Send a message via AIM to gramajackie

I've had my cricut for about 6 or 7 years and I still use my big shot the most. If I have a project in mind that I want to do, for instance, lettering or a lot of words that I want to stand out, I cut them on the cricut. The fancy filigree cuttings don't always cut well with the cricut and I sometimes waste a lot of paper. I don't want to sell it cuz I have about 40 cartridges.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramajackie For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Robin, I have a Cricut also and a Big Shot. I use the Big Shot nearly on a daily basis. I can't remember the last time I used my Cricut. The only time I use it is when I need to cut our letters or numbers. I don't have cutting dies for those. Like Nyoka, I don't like hunting thru cartridges to find what I want and then try to figure out the size to get right for the card or page I'm working on.
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenH For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Irishlady

I have both the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug. I them both. I mainly use my Big Shot for cutting out dies. I love my Cuttlebug because its smaller and easier for me to carry around with me. I was going to get a Cricut at one time but I decided that I'd save up and get a Cuttlebug. Its cuter than the Cricut. Judi
The Following User Says Thank You to Irishlady For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I have a cuttlebug and a silhouette cameo. I use them both pretty regularly--probably the cuttlebug more as I grab it while I'm actually working on the cards. My friend has a cricut (she isn't computer literate), and cuts out lots of "happy birthday" and "happy anniversary" pieces to put onto her cards. She files them in a pencil box by color after running them through the xyron to add adhesive to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to PJmeemaw For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I don't have a Cricut, but I do have an electronic cutter (eCraft) and a Cuttlebug. When choosing which one to use, it really depends on what I'm doing. If it's just one-off stuff, I tend to use my Cuttlebug more. If I need to do a lot of cutting for a craft class or if I'm mass-producing something like Christmas ornaments, the eCraft is a life saver (well, okay, ARM saver).

Like gramajackie's Cricut, the eCraft does have problems when it comes to intricate designs and I agree with Penny that things cut with the electronic cutter lack the depth of die cuts.
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyH For This Useful Post:
Robn C (01-07-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Swaps Organizer

I find that I use my Crichton mostly for cutting fonts for my scrapbook pages. I use my cuttlebug more for small dies that I use on cards and for embossing folders. I have invested right much in cartridges and that's what I like about the Silhouette Cameo -you can buy one design instead of having to buy a whole cartridge. However if you didn't know there are places where you can get discounted cartridges. Most are around $24 when you'll see them upwards of $60-80 on the Crichton site. Just google and you can find them easily.
Robn C (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Swaps Organizer

Two of the best things I ever did regarding my Cricut - I copied all the 'images' onto 8 1/2 x 11 paper and put them inside clear protective sheets, tabbed by cartridge name, and all in a 3-ring notebook - much easier to page thru. AND then later on, I got a Gypsy - which has a search feature so I can just look for what I want; it tells me what cartridge it is on so much much easier! But I still mostly use my Vagabond, although I like the Cricut as Nancy does for l/o titles, and also for bigger images.
Robn C (01-08-2014)