paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum > Personal Shopper > Scrapbooking

Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Default Another question!

What do the rest of you do to get the correct size photo for the layouts in the kit? Use Photoshop? Use Charm or Selphy? Go to Kiosk or order the correct size? Or maybe, manually crop them down? I haven't been able to do a single layout yet due to not finding either the correct size or color to match. I don't have a instant photo lab and I just got a new laptop that I don't even know how to get my photos onto it!

I'm just wondering what the best method is.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I am not an expert so I don't know if this the best. I know there are a lot a good photo editing programs out there but I edit my pictures in Google Picasa, save them and then use Microsoft Publisher to size my photos and print them on my printer.

http://wysiwyg73.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Thanked 1,038 Times in 923 Posts

99% of the time I print my photos at a kiosk, for me it's cheaper than buying ink for my printer. I usually print 4 X 6" pictures. Sometimes I'll print a photo package within the print so I'll get one 4X3" and two 2X3" or I'll print a 5 X 7" into a photo package. I crop my pictures to size and I'll also mat my pictures to size. Here's 4 X 6" example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	5899  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Swaps Organizer

Also a lot of the time you don't really have to match the dimensions in the directions exactly unless you are provided mattes that the pictures have to fit on. I will often put in a 5x7 photo in a spot calling for two 4x6 photos or even turn the page sideways if it calls for portrait pictures snd all of mine are landdcape. When I do need to use a specific size I usually manually crop them like perhaps when it calls for a 3"x3". As far as thecolor sometimes that can be an issue with kits and I'll just hold on to the kit until something comes along that will work. Another thing you can do is 1) print the pictures in black and white or 2)change an element or two from your stash. Example: once I had a Christmas kit that was in traditional red and green but the pictures I wanted to use had the girl in the picture wearing a hot pink sweater! So I cut a new title in hot pink on my Cricut and made matching photo mattes in pink and it worked out great.

Last edited by SandersNan; 05-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Swap Organizer

Thanked 1,131 Times in 990 Posts

I'll also jump in - I generally just crop my photos to size with my trimmer. I also have not been known to worry about matching clothes to papers especially if it is holiday papers of some kind. I've also consolidated pics as Nancy said or added an embellishment/journaling spot in place of a designated photo spot.

Really happy to have you asking questions and jumping in! Maybe you can think of joining up our paper swap we are just getting going?

Visit my blog: http://www.pennydouph.blogspot.com/
Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Like Penny I crop photos with a small trimmer, guillotine style. I don't stick to the "rule" of centering my photos on mats with equal borders, I use photos where they best tell the story and let the art be supporting not central.

I print thru mail order when I can get a deal, and they kiosks when I can't wait! I have spent lots of money on ink and printers and paper, and still wind up trimming them anyway.

One hint to printing the right size is to plan ahead what your LO will look like based on number of photos, sketch etc, and decide if you need to print 3x5, 4x6, or make mini prints and trim or shape from those basic sizes. The photos are always central to me in scrapping. The rest is the supporting cast. I try to limit my really detailed decorative pages and do a few in an album with more that are clean and simple and really focused on the photos and journaling.

I hope our input is encouraging to you. I hope you really feel like you make the rules for yourself and the desire to create drives you to make what is pleasing to YOUR EYE. If it is not fun you won't do it, so keep it fun!

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it". Julia Child