paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum > SWAPS & CHALLENGES > Weekly Challenges

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default April Week 4 MIXED MEDIA Challenge - due Apr 29/17

This my first post for the Mixed Media Challenge, so please bear with me !! Am a little nervous ! I have not been using mixed media for very long, I am NOT an expert, but I have really enjoyed what I have done. What to do?? Penny suggested I show you all how I do my tags.... soo here goes!

Textured and Dimensional Backgrounds..
I love the look of dimension, it really adds interest to the finished art. I started here with a bunch of tags cut same size, (have included a template to use if you wish. Print off on 8.5x11 inch cardstock.) Tags are 6x3. 65 lb cardstock is fine, heavier is better. I often back them with a 2nd tag later anyway to make them sturdier and a place to put a greeting if desired. I used white, cream and kraft cardstocks.

Gather some
1) stencils (PW 6 stencils work great for this size tag), Tim Holtz Collection , etc.
2) Diecuts 2-3 of each to glue together OR chipboard shapes
3) textiles- such as burlap, netting, loose woven fabric, lace strips, lace motifs, tissue paper.... even used some drywall tape! Colors of these do not matter as can gesso over it all before doing your final coloring with inks or paints
4) Embossing paste !! if you dont have any it is so easy to make : I make my own: cup baking soda, 2 TBSP of white glue, 2TBSP of white acrylic craft paint. Mix and store in air tight container, can be thinned with a few drops of water if needed. (I store it with a little water sitting on top in air tight container)
5) Glue-Aleenes Tacky Glue, Gesso, ( I did use Modge Podge as well, works well for gluing down but it was an Ooops, as ink colors reacted and muddied with it later.... Next time will gesso over them as well)

Start playing!
Embossing paste through stencils: just lay the stencil down on tag and start spreading the paste which will hold it in place fine, use a palette knife or a old credit card, those fake one in your junk mail work great.
Glue layered diecuts/chipboards onto tags, 2 or 3 layers of each diecut, or 1 layer of chipboard
Glue down laces/textiles randomly to cover tags. Let dry well. Then gesso over all, let dry before inking with ink applicators or sprays.

Coloring: I used all distress inks here, pads and sprays - I have used reinkers or distress stains to make mists, I like the Ranger mini misters for this, I don't have many purchased sprays, but you might ! (pic#2)

Dare to Dream tag-Red Brick Background Tag : Sprayed with a brown mist lightly to get a 'mortar' color first (pic#3) Using applicator, tapped the whole tag well with Vintage Photo. Next applied Barn Door ink across the brick horizontally till get depth of red brick look. Then a light tough of Walnut Stain ink the same way. Finish with some black ink same way but just randomly for a more aged look (pic#4)

Finished Red Brick Tag: (pic#5) PW copper words, copper Liquid Pearls, copper metal sheet, Cameo die cuts,
Black alcohol ink on copper metal embossed in Diamond plate Embossing Folder. , sand off to get copper highlights. Add embellies !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag template.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	13699   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6489.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	13700   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6470.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	13701   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6480.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	13702   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6526.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	13703  

scrapbookingstation (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Expect Miracles tag-Gray Wall Background, - (pic #1) used 2 stencils with embossing paste, a lattice and brick wall; colored with Pumice Stone distress ink (any gray you have) . Highlight lightly with black ink, swiping across designs lightly. The 'door pull' at top is from PW a while ago, was silver but sanded it off lightly and inked with some black. Door crown is part of a stamp embossed with black embossing powder. Chipboard door -popped out the bottom sections , inked and place together again. Ink the whole thing on edges and glue down with a scrap of lace and cardstock behind it.. PW metal words. Cameo cut lamp post and flowers and leaves from stash, inked with some black to tone down color.

Winter Fun-Birch Trees background: (pic#2)I placed paste at top and bottom of this tag to look like snow. This one was a little trickier to color as the raised parts are actually background sky! So highlighted the raised parts with a couple of bluish inks, and using fantastix I lightly colored some grayish/beige ink onto the trees, but still needed something else, so used a fine tip black pen to highlight all the raised bark on the trees and then it really looked dimensional. . Snow Buddies PW stamp on water color paper, used watercolors and fussy cut and mounted with foam tabs.

Never Give Up tag, paste and paper background: -(pic#3)embossing paste on bottom of tag , inked with some walnut stain. Then all layers of papers, rub ons and ephemera using foam squares.

Sew Sweet tag- lace backround: (pic#4&5) This background was an OOPS... at least not what I intended. I had to use a lot of Modge Podge to glue down these heavier cotton laces. When I went to use Dusty Concord ink mist it did not turn out purple ! As is dried the color just kept disappearing, reacting somehow ?? ended up this dusty vintagey rose so I went with it ! Embellies and ephemera from stash... found a cheap plastic measuring tape at $ store, tinted with Hazelnut Alcohol ink, used it also on the little scissors charm as they were a too bright brass color. Had fun with details on this one!

Challenge is: Make a Tag(s) with a Dimensional Background using different medias of your choice. Finish your art with your own creativity or ideas from Pinterest ! Use at least one PW media or item. Dont forget to top off your tags with ribbons and fibres, PW's are awesome.

To be eligible for the monthly prize drawing it must be posted in this thread by midnight on Apr 29/ 2017. Enjoy your time, have fun in the process. Take and post progress pics. Hang your finished tag(s) in your own craftspace! Or give away to encourage a friend!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_6527.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	13709   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6525.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	13710   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6535.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	13711   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6476.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	13712   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6528.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	13713  

scrapbookingstation (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Master Crafter

Thanked 3,413 Times in 2,839 Posts

Heather, thanks for sharing your beautiful tags with us! I just might have to step out of my comfort zone and play along!!!
scotroots (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Master Crafter

Thanked 4,012 Times in 3,479 Posts

Heather - Your tags and wonderful! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I'm going to give some of these a try.

I didn't sleep much last night, but I got a few solid hours of overthinking done...
The Following User Says Thank You to bbcmom For This Useful Post:
scotroots (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Swaps Organizer Team Lead

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,723 Posts

Great job Heather! Tags are beautiful!!
scotroots (04-21-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Webisode Watcher

I finally got some time to play in my craft corner yesterday (it was GLORIOUS!!), and I gave this challenge a try. Sadly, I can't post a photo until the technical problem with uploading JPG files is fixed, but I'll add that when I can. Imagine the colors Cracked Pistachio, Wilted Violet and Spiced Marmalade, plus a bit of red thrown in for good measure, and that will give you an idea of the color palette for now.

This is no where near the gorgeousness that Heather gives us, but I think it'll do. I used so many things here: a Tim Holtz tag stencil with PW white embossing paste; the Lilac Lane Embellishment Bottles in the greens and the berry colors from PW; baker's twine in mint green and white as well as ribbons from my stash; the white flowers from PW that I colored with Distress Oxide Inks (I'm am entranced by those things!); 3 different jars of Prills from a Mom's Warehouse Sale and glue; green, gold and purple Jewel Dazzles; sentiment and butterfly grouping stamps from Unity Stamp Co., and Butterfly Trails glitter from Hunkydory. And with a nod to Lee, the red fabric is a piece leftover from a bouquet of flowers I got at Valentine's Day! I think that's everything...

This was fun, Heather!

UPDATE: Heather messaged me to let me know the MB was able to post photos again, so here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MMTagChallenge.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	13748  

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..." :roll eyes:

Blog - www.addatouchofsparkle.com

Last edited by SuzyQ70; 04-25-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: to add the photo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuzyQ70 For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (04-24-2017), scotroots (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Dazzle Dreamer

Oh Suzy, so tickled you got time to play in your craft corner, and that you had FUN!!! that is the whole point of this ! your colors sound lovely, cant wait to see it IRL ! Hope they can fix our uploading issue tomorrow.
scrapbookingstation (04-23-2017), SuzyQ70 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 AM
Die-Cut Diva

Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,025 Posts

Suzy, I can hear the joy in your message. I am so happy you had some much needed playtime. Can't wait to see your design.

Heather- your tags are really amazing. From your detailed descriptions I can see why they are- so many layers and details. I really like the way you are able to incorporate stamped or die cut images into your MM. Those images always add "grounding" for the eye to rest and say- oh this is the theme/story so now I can take in all the details to support it. Thank you for sharing!

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it". Julia Child
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LindaH61 For This Useful Post:
scotroots (04-24-2017), SuzyQ70 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Master Crafter

Thanked 4,012 Times in 3,479 Posts

Made these three tags while waiting for the MD picture upload to get fixed.

Tag #1 - White card stock, Dreamweaver White Embossing Paste,Wood Grain stencil, OTC Chip Board elements, Ribbons from PW stash, and Tea Die Distress Ink

Tag #2 - White card stock, Dreamweaver Silver Embossing Paste, TH Dot Fade stencil, Free Stamps from Cardmaking magazine, Glitter Gel pens, Roses & Lace PP, Gold Pearl Specialty Papers, Green Glimmer paper, Pink Jewel Flower dazzles, 10 Tiny Things plus Shadows and Sizzix Garden Greens cutting dies, Ribbon from stash

Tag #3 - White card stock, Oxide inks, Honeycomb stencil, Glitter Gel pens, Honey Suckle scarpbook dazzles, vellum, Bee Happy small stamp, Black EP, Ribbon from stash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017 April week 4 challenge.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	13727  

I didn't sleep much last night, but I got a few solid hours of overthinking done...
The Following User Says Thank You to bbcmom For This Useful Post:
scotroots (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Dazzle Dreamer

Smile

Oh Daria ! they are so pretty!!! love your textures on your backgrounds and the layering of your elements gives lots of interest, really like the TH Dot Fade embossing, and the Bee Happy tag is soooo cute! Hope you enjoyed doing them, as much as I did seeing them ... Thanks so much for playing Daria!

Last edited by scotroots; 04-24-2017 at 02:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotroots For This Useful Post:
bbcmom (04-24-2017)

Tags
background, embossing paste, mixed media, tags