paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum > OTHER TOPICS > Hints & Tips

Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Die-Cut Diva

Thanked 1,077 Times in 922 Posts
Default Dazzles Storage

I posted this awhile back in a thread about Dazzles that were on sale. I decided when I wanted to update my post (and took forever to find it because it wasn't in THIS section!), that I'd add it to the Hints & Tips section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Well, today I bit the bullet and figured out a way to better organize my Dazzles.
I have my Christmas ones in a drawer with Christmas themed stuff and hearts and anniversary etc. in a drawer with my Love-themed stuff, Birthday with Birthday, Thanksgiving with Fall, etc. That works well for me.

Then I had my "word" ones in a "cardmaking" drawer and that works well for me.

The problem is with the rest of them which I had organized by color with the rest of my "color coded" embellishments. This worked fine for things like border and jewel Dazzles where when I wanted them I was looking for a specific color. However, when it came to flowers, butterflies, animals, music, and other misc my system wasn't working very well. What color was I supposed to look under to find a bicycle, for example?

Then I thought, "Wouldn't it be great if I could organize them by type in a notebook and be able to just leaf through and see what I had?" I found a notebook and started putting them in some page protectors. I found it was just right for side-by-side storage of regular sized Dazzles, but they slid around so they weren't as easy to see as I flipped through the book. So-o-o-o, I took the page protectors, laid them on my scoreboard so I could easily measure them, drew a vertical line down the center of the sheet protector pocket using a ruler & a fine-line Sharpie, and then ran a line of stitching down that line with my sewing machine! YAY! Now the stickers stay in place nicely - just had to be careful to measure carefully so the stitching line was pretty much in the center of the pocket - otherwise one side would end up too small for Dazzles to fit).

Of course I can also use un-stitched page protectors for larger sticker sheets like the scrapbooking dazzles - so now the rest of my Dazzles are all in one place, organized by type - flowers, butterflies & other insects, birds, etc. Love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH61 View Post
Great solution! I am having a similar challenge, from a similar perspective so I am really liking your solution! Anyone with the Fuse Tool could avoid the sewing.
Update: After working with my Dazzles binder for awhile, I decided I really wanted to organize my others this way too. So . . . I now have my original Dazzles notebook, a "Holidays" Dazzles notebook, and a "Words" Dazzles notebook. (Though I store other stickers in these notebooks too, the majority of what I have are Dazzles)

Linda, now that I have a fuse tool, I find you are SOOOO RIGHT!!! Doing this with the fuse tool is super fast!!!!
Save
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dazzle Storage (4).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	14812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dazzle Storage (1).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	14813  

My Pinterest pages:
https://www.pinterest.com/Cher2Inspire/

Last edited by Cheryl; 08-12-2017 at 10:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl For This Useful Post:
Carol J (08-12-2017), LindaH61 (08-16-2017), Pamela (08-15-2017), Rosie (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Master Crafter

Thanked 3,257 Times in 2,734 Posts

I have my dazzles stored the same as Cheryl. Thanks for the idea about the word dazzles, I may do that. It's a great system!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Dazzle Dreamer

Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,024 Posts

Me too. My binder is a 3"er and jam packed.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Webisode Watcher

No way would I be able to put mine in a binder! I have three BOXES (the photo boxes style) with dazzles. It was getting so out of control I have decided it's time to not subscribe to the club anymore until I can use up what I Have (or at least gain some control somehow).
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,024 Posts

I don't know Rosie, this notebook holds an awful lot of dazzles. Also - if you think about the packaging - after you toss the plastic and backing, the actual dazzle sheet is 1/4 the thickness... some of my inserts are holding 8-12 dazzles sheets - on each side! (incl copies to do backing).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dazzle notebook.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	14840   Click image for larger version

Name:	dazzle pages.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	14841  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 AM
Swaps Organizer

Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,109 Posts

I just have a big box too. I have my words separated like you but I also have borders, corners and jewel Dazzles together as well. Christmas is in a separate place with my other Christmas stuff.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 AM
Master Crafter

Thanked 3,781 Times in 3,311 Posts

I have mine in clear acetate boxes by catagory. My border dazzles are in a plastic bag, my everyday scrapbooking dazzles are in another bag. My Christmas and Winter are in boxes in get another drawer. Yes, I ran out of room in my first drawer but I know exactly where each of my dazzles can be found. I don't have space for 3ring binders.

I didn't sleep much last night, but I got a few solid hours of overthinking done...
Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Webisode Watcher

I have a difficult time when it comes to creating a "words" file. Holidays & obvious themes are a cinch. Many of the other dazzles sheets combine images/themes with words/greetings. Deciding what catagory a sheet belongs in can be a troublesome task. I worry that after catagorizing them I'm going to pass over words/greetings needed for a project because I'm looking in the wrong catagory. Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Die-Cut Diva

Dawn, That's one of the reasons I went to the binder for mine - so I can quickly flip through and see what I have (and so duplicates are all in the same pocket & I don't have to look through a bunch of sheets that are the same!).

My "Word & Special Themes" binder is organized by color, then within each color I start with "multi-purpose" sentiment sheets, followed by more specific ones alphabetized by theme. Of course, I keep in mind that Silver ones are VERY easy to change into another color by using Sharpies or Alcohol Inks. Those that are clearly "themed" (like birthday) are in here as well even if they aren't all "words".

The more general ones that have pictures & words are in my regular Dazzles binder. And you're right about sentiments being here too - I need to remember that if I can't find what I want in the word binder, that I want to quickly leaf through this one as well. (Holiday ones are in yet a 3rd binder)

My Pinterest pages:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl For This Useful Post:
bbcmom (08-16-2017), CatLady (08-17-2017), scrapbookingstation (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Die-Cut Diva

Daria, one of the things I did - which may or may not work in your space, was I picked up a couple of collapsible plastic crates from Costco & put those on their side under my work table to hold binders & such. (They also serve as a shelf for piling other things on top! )
SaveSave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under Table2.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	14860  

My Pinterest pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheryl For This Useful Post:
bbcmom (08-16-2017)