paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum > Other Topics > Technical Support

Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Arrow Well,here's my 2 cents worth...

Hi Jennifer,I started to make my own cards about 4 years ago.I started with a pack of {colored pencils~$.99}{glue stick~$.99}{one stencil with the abc's and a few shapes~$1.89}{a 25 count package of white cards with white envelopes~$3.99}{a package of craft paper from a discount store~$4.99}.LOL I keep very good records and I know where every craft $ was spent and what it was for. Oh,as well I found a {card making book at a yard sale~$1.00}.So with that arsonal of very little things I started my journey as a card maker.With every card I made I started to see each card take on a life of it's own.By that I mean,each card that I made was nicer looking than the previous one.

Well, now down to today.April,2010.WOW!!! I have come a long way from those few craft items I started with.I can make my cards sparkle and no two are the same.In these 4 years I made some good choices and some not so good choices in the purchasing department.In the beginning when the few items I was using to make cards got to be quite boring I started to buy everything in sight!! THAT WAS A VERY BIG BLUNDER. I had so many crafting items that I didn't know what to use first!! I learned a lesson from that...you don't have to have everything on the market to make a nice card or book.

Well,now on to the topic of this conversation.Stamps and inks.I got a ton of both.When I was buying them I didn't know what brand would work or not work on a particular card.It was through trial and error that I learned what would and wouldn't work.I had no one to ask for help.That was until last April 2009.That was when the Message Board was born.I can't even remember how I found out about the MB.But I am so glad I did. From a small beginning the MB has grown into a great bunch of crafters all with great ideas and advice.The first person I wrote to was Fab and he is my go to man when I am in a pinch in the craft department.Jennifer,I found through the MB so many nice and very creative friends.We are like a family.If you have questions you will definitely find the answers here.Now to get even more help go to Paper Wishes Webisodes.Paulette and Sara will show you how to do mostly everything you are not sure of and you can watch it over and over until you understand the technique.I go there quite often when I need a refresher course on a craft project.

Hum...it seems like I have put in more than my 2 cents here.LOL!! So the bottom line here is use the MB and Webisodes and I am sure you will definitely find an answer to your questions when they arise.If you are a newbee it may take some time to sift through all the information.But I know you can do it Jennifer...ready...set...go!!! Sandra
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Question Duh huh?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabyon View Post
What about having a techniques section with the various techniques we like to use be it, using stamps, iris folding, tea bag folding, paper engineering, colouring, embossing, dry embossing etc.... then if anyone makes something in the scrapbook, cardmaking or papercrafting chat they can refer to their thread into the technique section so that everyone (be it a cardmaker, scrapbooker, mini book maker, ATC maker, etc...) can benefit from the technique being shown as they are transferable.

Despite the tone of my previous post I'm not against new sections but I don't 'define' myself by a technique but by the final product I create and I don't find anything wrong with people predilections with a specific technique. Horses for courses, I suppose !

HEY,FAB...I HAD TO GET OUT MY DICTIONARY TO LOOK UP THIS 50 CENT WORD AS WE SAY HERE IN THE STATES...{PREDILECTIONS} LOL
Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I like this idea Fab. A space to talk about techniques. There are so many out there and like you said they are transferable for all projects. There are a few that you mentioned that I have never done and wouldn't know where to start. I'm sure there are other crafters out there too in the same boat. Perhaps organizing conversations on techniques this way would be beneficial to members looking for quick tips and feedback on techniques to do for their projects. I would definitely be all for this idea, but if it can't be done, that's okay too.

My Crafty blog: http://craftyimaginingsbyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I might be "slow" but I never go to the seperate forums (except for the swap forum)

I just click on new posts every time I log in and read everything . . . I thought that's everyone did??

http://www.cardsbydee.com/
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscleanhead View Post
I might be "slow" but I never go to the seperate forums (except for the swap forum)

I just click on new posts every time I log in and read everything . . . I thought that's everyone did??
I think it's more about having a place where one can look up the various techniques especially once threads are no longer new. Also it would avoid repeating what's already been said as we can refer the new forum members to that section. Think of it as a know-how repository !
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Paper Wishes Team

I have always liked the idea of trying to group discussions so that they are easier to find or navigate. The problem getting really defined in your grouping is that half of it will go unused most of the time. Personally, I think Fab is right about stamping, in that it is used on a wide range of techniques, but I feel the section wouldn't get enough traffic by itself. Would a section for techniques have the same problem of inactivity? I like the ideas and discussion floating around in this thread. I will keep watch and we can make something happen when the brainstorming starts to slow down a bit.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabyon View Post
I think it's more about having a place where one can look up the various techniques especially once threads are no longer new. Also it would avoid repeating what's already been said as we can refer the new forum members to that section. Think of it as a know-how repository !

LOL: "Think of it as a know-how repository ! " that's what we have YOU for, Fab!!!

http://www.cardsbydee.com/

Last edited by Mrscleanhead; 04-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

I too like the idea of a technique thread. Even though I have been doing this for a few years, I love to learn new ideas and techniques. Who best to learn it from than the great crafters we have here on the MB??!!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Smile Technique thread...

I have reread all of this discussion.After pondering it I think a technique section would be a good idea.Just think about this.We have Newbees who are just starting out to be crafty and need more help with various techniques.And we have the Oldbees who know more than the Newbees but they wouldn't mind reading about certain techniques because they may come across something they did not know how to do.I personally find new ideas all the time on the MB and I consider myself an Oldbee.No one can know everything about crafting and new craft products are coming on the market daily and we all would appreciate knowing how to use the new products be it a certain kind of pen that gives you great results and maybe a certain pen that doesn't give good results.That is just a simple example of what I mean about new craft products.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I actually think a technique forum would get decent traffic. A stamping chat maybe not so much, but maybe it would I don't know because I'm not a stamper and I don't know how many members are. What I have seen so far after being a part of this board for two months is there are always questions posed for suggestions on how to do something, what products would others suggest, etc. That's why I personally liked Fab's idea of a section to talk about techniques because it would be a centralized spot on the board to get feedback from other crafters on how to do something.This way the discussion doesn't have to be classified under either of the three chats and there is one place where past discussions on just techniques are archived for easy reference whereas now you have to search the 3 chat forum threads.

My Crafty blog: http://craftyimaginingsbyjen.blogspot.com/

Last edited by jen0925; 04-26-2010 at 04:23 PM.