paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum > Papercrafting Chat

Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Swap Organizer

Default die organization

I just re-read the many posts on die storage, but now I need help with organization. I am happy with my die storage systems, I have a couple! Now, I am working on how to keep track of what I have and where it is. The easiest for me are the matching stamp/die sets; I store the dies with the stamps in my cd cases and that is marked in my stamp catalog.

The problem I'm having is with the rest of my dies. I have probably 15 leaf die sets all from different manufacturers and I store by company. I'm wondering if it is worth doing a die catalog like my stamp catalog which I have pics of here post numbers 8 and 9. I'm not sure I can think of any other way to manage them.

So, how do you guys organize your dies to find the one you want. I am embarrassed to admit the problem is I have way too many dies! However, I want to be able to find them so I can use them all.

Visit my blog: http://www.pennydouph.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Swaps Organizer

For the thin steel dies, I am converting from the Art Bin containers so they are now in either THESE envelopes (mostly multiple dies to the set with small ones included; they are zipper pouches and also have a front slot so you can slip in product info or extras of the die cuts themselves) or in THESE if they have matching stamps, both of which stand up in these trays Fridg-Binz. You could easily just put a divider piece of cardstock labeled with manufacturer name... I have tons of Spellbinders and they are in cassette cases one for each set with magnetic tape inside to hold them, and all those are in their own separate plastic shoebox kind of bin I got at Wal-Mart.

Then I keep a spreadsheet for Sizzix dies, and one for steel dies (including Spellbinders) which lists them by manufacturer, item # and die name - I keep a copy of the spreadsheets on my phone so if I'm shopping somewhere and run across a deal I can check to see if I already have it.

All my thicker Sizzix dies and movers & shapers dies are on a shelf in my cabinet.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Swap Organizer

Sam, when you are crafting how do you decide which dies to use? Sounds like you have as many as I do, how do you remember them all and then use them all.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Swaps Organizer

ummm...I would have to plead the fifth here, or else admit I have some I haven't used yet...but I'm working on it. I'm determined to try them all and think what I am going to do is just put all the unused ones up front, and then work my way thru them...The biggest unused categories are the Spellbinder nestabilities - when I first started out there just weren't nearly as many companies making dies and they were almost it - and of course I had to have them all!
pennyd (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I keep mine in a zipper binder (large size) and on magnetic sheets. I like it this way, except the binder is pretty heavy. I keep mine by company and by type. I also put some of the packaging on the page with the dies. Some of them I have cut and put the example on the page also. When I want to use a die I usually flip through the binder and the right one just kind of jumps out at me. I don't have as many as Penny and Sam seem to have but I do love them and buy more when I have the money. I love being on the PW cutting die shopper!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Hmmm... I don't have a lot yet, but my collection is growing. I guess I'd better develop a strategy for keeping track of them before it's too late! I do have some of them loaded in MyStuff (an iPhone/iPad app), but only the most recent ones that I have barcodes for. Come to think of it, I also have a most of the older ones in my website database, but just the set names with no pictures or storage info. I should probably figure out how to combine the two. If I did that and added keywords, I could enter something like "flowers" and it would pull up all the flower sets I own with pictures. That would be awesome.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

I don't have very many so they fit just fine in ONE art bin and I can quickly look through to see what I need. I probably won't get a whole lot because I have to Cricut that does the same thing and can't justify buying cutting dies....even though I would like to.

http://wysiwyg73.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Swap Organizer

Judy, you are so darn organized! I can't put my laptop in my craft room without taking time out to clear a place for it! LOL It is a major operation to get anything printed... I like the database idea though. I guess this means I need a tablet of some kind just for crafting?

Daria, I've never missed my Cricut! I found I love my dies more and used them much more. I think my prob with the Cricut was finding the right cartridge, etc . Mary sent me examples from her Scan 'n Cut and I am sold on that! I don't think that would replace my dies though, just contribute to their use. She sent me some of the downloads cut out and it was amazing how easy they would be to use.

Problem is, after my trip to see my son and Star Trek, I don't have any b-day, Xmas, anniversary presents to give myself until 2020!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Penny - LOL on the budget. Maybe what I should do is start focusing on less paper and more cutting dies???

http://wysiwyg73.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

I have to admit that my die storage is hit and miss!!! I DO have all my PW dies from the club in one place! Does that count? LOL.... I have some die/stamp combos that I store together but there are others that I just have on magnet sheets which I have hanging on a peg board in view so I will remember that I have them!.. At my age if it's not in my view I can't remember having it! I guess I should come up with a better way of storage but with limited space it's hard.
God bless
Nyoka
pennyd (06-27-2014)

Tags
die organization, dies, storage