paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking Forum > Papercrafting Chat

Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Swap Organizer

Thanked 1,078 Times in 945 Posts

Mary, I'm with Daria. As I said, I'm interested in the Scan and Cut. The thought of not having to fussy cut stamps is wonderful! I'm not sure that is enough reason to add a new machine though so I'd like to know what else it does.

Several of you mentioned bigger dies, I'm assuming they are the big Spellbinder's? Since I scrap I thought about getting the ovals and/or circles but the price is so steep. I'd also like some thoughts on the bigger dies.

I kick myself now for having bought regular size square and rectangle dies - I NEVER use them and they are just taking up space. I have the scalloped ones to go with them and I never use them either; think of all the PW paper I could have had...sigh. I think I'm going to try and sell them.

Visit my blog: http://www.pennydouph.blogspot.com/
Old 05-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

I only buy dies I can't cut with my existing tools and I have a full set of circles and ovals and hexes from another company (not dies), I have templates a plenty and actually like using them, and I have paper cutters for anything square. The large dies I have are from Spellbinders and are Lacey edged or label shaped. You probably can sell your dies that you don't use.

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it". Julia Child
Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Arrow Oh my! Quite a list

I actually started with the Silhouette. I didn't like the idea of spending so much on cartridges for machines like the Cricket, or a lot of money on dies. I liked the idea of being able to use images from anywhere to create cut patterns & to be able to use all the fonts on my computer, including picture fonts. There are lots of sites with free images as well, so I've got plenty of options with it without buying additional patterns, and have enjoyed using the Silhouette. I've used it to create paper pieced images and a variety of focals. I LOVE it for cutting titles for my scrapbook pages. I've also used it to cut card greetings in multiple colors of sticky-backed vinyl so I have those ready to go whenever I need a quick card (sort of like using Dazzles).

I have used my Silhouette a fair amount, but it doesn't emboss and I fell in love with the look folks were getting with embossing folders. So I bought a Big Shot. I LOVED it! It was so versatile with the multi-platform. At first I had expected to just buy embossing folders, but then I saw that Spellbinder's dies also embossed and could be used as stencils. Uh oh, I was HOOKED!

When Spellbinders came out with their grand dies, I upgraded to a Grand Caliber. I now use it for most things. I still have my Big Shot and it is nice, but besides taking the bigger dies and embossing folders, the Grand Caliber can cut/emboss several things at once and I can use a letter sized sheet of paper or cardstock in it without have to cut or fold it first. So, I tend to use my Grand Caliber the most.

I have several other machines that I don't use quite as often:
  • My Story - book binding machine. I liked the idea of making my own books, but must admit that I haven't done too much with it. Partly because most of the book covers only hold a few pages, but also because I can't bear to "use up" my covers!
  • Stampmaker - This is nice, but supplies are pricey. I've mostly used it for making stamps of names of my loved ones, personalized "made by me" stamps, and a few stamps for messages inside of cards. I've been thinking to also use it to create some stamps that go with some of my favorite dies, but I haven't done that yet.
  • HP wide body printer - allows me to print on my 12 x 12 scrapbook pages, print 12 x 12 background pages or digitally scrapbooked pages, and print up to 13 X 19 posters. Love it!
pennyd (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Swaps Organizer

I'm pondering on the Brother Scan-n-Cut as well...it sure is pricey though. So here are my machines...

I too started out with a Cuttlebug - which my niece now has.

Then I got a Big Shot that I still have and use occasionally.

My "daily" machine is the Vagabond - love it!

I also have the Grand Calibur which I also like, especially since I got mine ages ago and it didn't come with the insert that lets you do the 8 1/2" folders, but then they came out with a different insert for those who got the earlier machines so I got that and all is well. Although I think I may have to reconsider the Ebosser if anything happens to my Vagabond. Even happier with the Vagabond now that I got one of those magnetic platforms from my sister for Christmas!

I also have a Cricut Expression, the Gypsy, and probably 50+ cartridges and while I like it, I rarely use it! Need to change that or sell the lot I guess - way too much money invested to let it sit! But I stopped buying cartridges - got way annoyed with Provocraft after the "Cricut Circle" debacle and then it seems like every time you turned around there was another cartridge but not the full-scale ones like they started out with. Not investing any more money in Provocraft stuff.
psf (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Penny, I started with the Grand Labels 4 dies since I have a lot of stuff that goes with Labels 4 (decorative dies that match as well as stamps that go with them). I haven't used them a lot, but I DO like having them. They allow me to make some lovely shaped cards, as well as cutouts that are bigger than in the standard set. They ARE expensive, so I haven't gotten a lot of the "Grand" dies yet, but I expect I'll get more over time.
pennyd (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

Default machines

I have 3 machines. A cricut, a cuttlebug and a sizzix sidekick. psf
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I have a cricut and a big shot. The big shot I use but I'm cricut challenged. I love the Brother Scan N Cut and that may be my next purchase.

My Blog
My Creative Endeavors
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Paper Wishes Regular

I downloaded the Cricut Expressions E-book for $.99 and that's been a big help. Especially with the dial settings for the different paper types.

http://wysiwyg73.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Paper Wishes Regular

Send a message via AIM to gramajackie

I have,
Big shot
cricut expression
silhouette
cinch
my story
Brother 400SE Embroidery Sewing machine
Cannon Ink Jet takes up half a table
lap top computer attached to cricut, silhouette and printer
Grand calabur
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Swap Organizer

Thanked 1,078 Times in 945 Posts

My goodness Ruth, you've got everything covered. Do you regret getting any of the machines. I have my Zutter bind-it-all which I think is terrific, but I only use it 2-3 times a year. I was lucky though and won it in a raffle!

Visit my blog: http://www.pennydouph.blogspot.com/