By Susan Cobb
Click to Enlarge
Designer Tip: This card topper with a Christmas tree cut-out window makes it easy to show off your Iris folding technique for a beautiful card. Double-sided adhesive squares work great for holding the folded papers in place.
- 5"x5" Textured Foil Paper
- Christmas Tree Iris Folding Card Toppers
- Nutcrackers Dazzles™ Gold
- Christmas Greetings Dazzles™ Gold
- Stencil Tape
- 12x12 Classic Cardstock
- White Cards & Envelopes
- Iris Folding Pattern
- With the fold at the left, cover the card front with red cardstock. Trim the card topper to a 3 ½” x 4 ¾” rectangle. Choose one sheet of each of the following foil papers: red, green, forest green, gold, and lime. Cut 5/8” wide strips of each color except the red and lime. Fold over one long edge of each strip. Secure the pattern to your work surface with stencil tape. Turn the card topper over and place the Christmas tree opening over the pattern, aligning it exactly with the pattern. Tape one edge of the card topper to your work surface, so it can be lifted and replaced over the pattern easily.
- Following the numbered pattern, begin with a forest green folded strip and align the folded edge of the strip against the innermost edge of the #1 section at the bottom of the Christmas tree. Trim the strip so it extends about ¼” beyond the opening at each end and adhere to the topper. Proceed with the gold for #2, the green for #3. Continue with the colors in the same order, following by number. Use the lime for the last section at the center. Cover the base opening with red foil. Lift up the card topper to make sure the front looks aligned properly.
- Turn the topper over to the front. Glue the topper to white cardstock, trimming edges evenly with the topper. Mat on lime foil, then forest green foil, then glue to the card front leaving a 1” border at the bottom. Back a gold star sticker with gold foil and trim edges evenly. Glue to the top of the tree. Add “Merry Christmas” across the bottom of the card as shown.