Project comments (0)
| Write a comment
|Paper Wishes Weekly Webisodes
||Free classes with Paper Wishes Webisodes. Watch every Wednesday for new tips, tricks and techniques!
About the Layouts
Technique: Halloween Layouts
Designer: Laura Nicholas
By Laura Nicholas
Amid all the ghosts and ghouls, the costumes, the parties and the candy, let's not forget the pumpkins! Laura used a sleek matting technique to display a series of three Jack-O-Lantern photos on half of this "Pumpkin Carving" spread. She glued the photos directly side-by-side and matted only the top and bottom edges. This simple technique creates continuity between the photos and adds a chic effect to the page. (Hint: Three 4"x6" photos fit perfectly across a 12" background!)
For the Left Page:
- Place one sheet of orange striped paper with the border at the bottom. Glue three 4"x6" photos directly side-by-side on white cardstock, trimming the white cardstock to 1/8" along the top and bottom edges. Mat the top and bottom edges again on black cardstock, trimming to 1/8". Glue the matted photos just above the page border, leaving the bottom left corner unglued.
- Glue a 2 1/4"x1" piece of lime textured paper under the bottom left corner of the matted photos, so about 1/2" of the lime paper is visible below the mats. Add three yellow brads across the lime paper, then finish gluing the corner of the photo mat in place.
- Glue the "pumpkin" label punch-out even with the top right edge of the black photo mat. Zot™ a bow of black ribbon over the left end of the punch-out. Attach the "carving" punch-out above "pumpkin" with a lime mini brad in each end.
For the Right Page:
- Place the other sheet of orange striped paper with the border at the bottom. Glue a 2 1/4"x9" strip of lime textured paper on the right side of the orange portion of the background. Add three orange brads across the top of the strip.
- Mat two horizontal photos together on black cardstock with 1/8" of space between, then trim the mat to 1/8" around the edges. Fold 2" of black ribbon in half and secure the loose ends behind the bottom right corner of the matted photos. Glue the photos over the right side of the page, overlapping the lime strip.
- Computer journal a long vertical block on white cardstock, leaving 3/4" of blank space above and 1 1/2" of space below the journaling. Tie a knot in a black ribbon length and lay it across the top of the journaling, centering the knot. Tape the ribbon tails to the back side of the journaling. Add the pumpkin Brad Buddy™ below the journaling. Glue the journaling block to the left of the photos, leaving the bottom edge unglued.
- Glue a 2 1/4"x2" piece of lime textured paper under the bottom of the journaling, then finish gluing the journaling in place. Glue the "Jack-o-lantern" punch-out to the bottom of the lime piece.
By Laura Nicholas
Laura's "Halloween Party" layout is the perfect place to scrapbook all the creative costumes found at this year's Halloween parties. Her special touch? Inspired by the white webs printed on the background paper border, Laura used a white pen to make it look like her spider punch-outs are hanging from other portions of the layout!
For the Left Page:
- Place one sheet of spider web paper with the webs on the left. Glue the "Halloween" punch-out just above and to the right of the center of the paper. Trim one end of a 5" length of orange ribbon to an inverted "v". Working with the cut end, fold back 1" of the ribbon and secure the folded end to the left side of the punch-out with a yellow brad. Wrap the opposite end of the ribbon around the left side of the page and tape it to the back side. Repeat using a 3 1/2" length of ribbon and a lime green brad for the right side of the punch-out.
- Mat a vertical and a square photo on orange textured paper, trimming the mats to 1/8". Glue the vertical photo just right of the spider web border and the square photo in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Glue the purple spider punch-out on the large web in the top left corner of the page. Glue a green oval spider punch-out below the letter "w" on the "Halloween" punch-out, slightly overlapping the right edge of the vertical photo. Draw a white line connecting the spider punch-out to the "Halloween" punch-out. Glue the "party" punch-out below the right end of the "Halloween" punch-out, then draw two white lines connecting the two punch-outs.
- Tie orange ribbon around the left side of the "Boo" Brad Buddy™ and attach it in over the bottom left edge of the vertical photo. Write the date on a blank orange punch-out and glue it below the vertical photo. Attach the "spooktacular" arrow punch-out over the right edge of the square photo.
For the Right Page:
- Place the other sheet of spider web paper with the webs on the right. Mat three vertical photos on orange textured paper, trimming the mats to 1/8". Glue one photo in the top left corner of the page, attaching the "scary!" arrow punch-out to the bottom left edge with two orange mini brads.
- Fold two 1" pieces of orange ribbon in half and secure the loose ends behind the right edge of a second matted photo. Glue the photo to the right and slightly lower than the first photo. Write on a blank orange punch-out and glue it to the top right edge of the second photo. Attach the third photo centered at the bottom of the page, attaching the "boo-utiful" arrow punch-out to the bottom right edge with purple and lime mini brads.
- Fold 1" of orange ribbon in half and secure the loose ends behind the left edge of the "Fright Night" punch-out. Attach the punch-out in the bottom left corner of the page with two black bat brads overlapping the bats printed on the punch-out.
- Glue a green oval spider punch-out over the right side of the page. Draw a white line extending from the large web in the top right corner of the page to the top of the punch-out.