By LeNae Gerig
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Designer's Tip: If gravity is dropping your chipboard numbers from the drawer fronts, add some glue stick to the back of each number. Time saver: Pre-select and pre-cut your papers for the boxes. Then simply assemble and cover the boxes in one sitting.
- Noted Double-Sided Paper Pack
- 25-Drawer Storage
- Red Rocks Mist
- Thickers Jewelry Box Numbers, Chestnut Brown
- Sanding Block
- Knife & Refill
- Part not in database (may have been discontinued): #72601040000
- Tacky Glue
- 1/4" Ultra Clear Tape
- latex gloves
- small paintbrush
- paper towels
- Before assembling the chest, place pieces on a surface protected by newspapers. Mist one piece at a time with Baseboard Mist and use the paper towel to completely cover the surface of each piece. Use a paintbrush dipped in the mist to paint the rough edges. Let dry for 15-20 min.
- Assembling the Chest: Using a small amount of glue, glue the back into the base using Tacky glue. Glue the left side into the base. Glue the shelves into the slots on the left side. Glue the right side into the base and the shelf slots. Glue the top onto the back and side. Tap firmly on the top of the chest to insure the pieces are firmly in place. Let the glue dry.
- Cover the top of the box with striped paper, piecing the paper to get the full size needed. Lightly sand the paper edges for a perfect fit.
- Boxes: Assemble the boxes using a piece of clear tape on each outside edge. Select 6 different coordinating patterned papers and a 7th striped paper for the trim and top of the chest. Cut four 12"x2 3/4" strips from 5 patterned papers and 5 strips from the 6th patterned paper to cover the 25 boxes. Cut twenty-five 12"x1/4" pieces of striped paper as borders.
- Apply glue stick to one side of the wide papers and place the center of the paper on the front of a box. Wrap around the box with the paper seam at the back. Use the penknife or small scissors to cut out the notch at the box front. Lightly sand with sanding block. Wrap the 1/4" wide paper strip flush with the box bottom.
- Arrange the boxes on the shelf and avoid placing 2 red, 2 black and 2 tan patterns together. Once arranged place the numbers on the box fronts.