By Susan Cobb
Click to Enlarge
Designer’s Tip: I combined brayers and Distress Paints with the Creative Palette Monoprinting Plate to create a colorful textured background for this card using the monoprinting technique. I made other backgrounds and used them for pretty butterfly cut-outs and the stamped face image. I painted white flowers with Spun Sugar Distress Paint for added color. For the monoprinting technique, paint is applied to the plate with a brayer, then a print is made by placing cardstock onto the plate, gently smoothing it in place, then pulling off the cardstock. You can then make more prints with the plate as is, or change it up--add texture with patterned brayers, add more paint, and keep printing. Each print is unique! Be sure to save all your prints, even ones you’re not exactly happy with. There are a ton of ways to use them!
- Teal Jewel Dazzles™
- Teal Jewel Border Dazzles™
- 15 Butterflies & Dragonflies
- 4"x6" Acrylic Block
- Creative Palette Monoprinting Plate
- Rubber Brayer
- Chevron & Hearts Small Stamp Brayer Set
- Polka Dot & Pin Stripe Large Stamp Brayer Set
- Live Creatively Cling Rubber Stamp
- Glance Cling Rubber Stamp
- 12x12 White Cardstock
- 8"x8" Pre-Scored Card Blanks
- Mowed Lawn Distress Paint, Salty Ocean Distress Paint, Spun Sugar Distress Paint, Spiced Marmalade Distress Paint
- Small paint brush
- White Wild Blossoms
- Children 3-D Vintage Set
- Paper towels
- Craft Sheet
- Rubbing Alcohol (helps with clean-up)
- Medium Zots™
- Foam Tape
- 2 Photo Glue Sticks
- Front: Remove the acetate liner from the Creative Palette and place the plate on your craft sheet. For the green/blue background paper: shake the Mowed Lawn and Salty Ocean Distress Paints. Remove the caps and pour several drops of each color randomly on the plate. Use the rubber brayer to spread the paint over the surface in 2 or 3 swipes—you want to spread the colors so they just begin to mix.
- Place a sheet of white cardstock directly on the plate, aligning it with the edges. Smooth it out with your fingers, then lift the cardstock off the plate and set aside. Roll the chevron patterned brayer over the remaining paint on the plate. Take the same background paper you just made and place it face down on the plate so it overlaps the white edge and part of the background you just created. Lift off the cardstock and set aside to dry. This will be the colorful background for your card. Wipe your plate and brayers with a wet paper towel, cleaning stubborn areas with rubbing alcohol. Rinse and let dry.
- Create a few more backgrounds using Spun Sugar and Spiced Marmalade Distress Paints using the method in steps 1 and 2, so you have lots of different shades of colors from light to dark, some textured and some without. Use the stripes patterned brayer on the plate to add texture to one of the backgrounds. Let the prints dry.
- Cover the 8”x8” card front with your green/blue textured background paper. Stamp “live creatively” on the lower right portion of the card with dark brown ink. Stamp the woman’s face on a pale pink/peach background with dark brown ink. Cut out the shape. Use the Butterflies & Dragonflies Template to trace an assortment of sizes and shapes of butterflies on remaining pink/peach/orange and green/blue backgrounds and cut them out. Lightly fold the wings of each butterfly together. Use the small paint brush to paint some of the white flowers pink. Let dry.
- Glue the face cut-out on the left side of the card. Add flowers and butterflies, layering with foam tape as shown. Place Dazzles™ on butterflies and on the left edge of the card.