By Shauna Berglund-Immel
For the Card Front :
- Place the card with the fold on the left and trim 3/4" off the right side of the card front. Cover the remaining card front with teal grid paper and ink the edges. Glue lime grosgrain ribbon even with the card fold, trimming the excess even with the top and bottom edges of the card. Place the black rick rack overlay over the ribbon length. Punch six 1/16" holes evenly spaced down the overlay, then insert brads in the holes to secure the overlay over the ribbon length.
- Punch ten 1/4" holes down the top right edge of the card front. Run a 3" length of ribbon through each of the holes (alternating lime, lavender and aqua grosgrain and yellow and peach sheer ribbons) and knot the ribbons around the edge of the card. Use mini brads to attach the “play”, “fun”, “games” and “cake” fragment overlays just to the left of the knotted ribbons.
- Attach the “enjoy/surprise” overlay over ivory glimmer paper with mini brads dotting the “j” and the “i”, then trim the paper even with the edges of the overlay. Mat on black glimmer paper, trimming the top and bottom edges to 1/4" and the left and right edges to 1/16". Glue at an angle across the bottom of the card front and use a Zot™ to attach a knotted length of lime ribbon to the top edge of the mat. Tip: Line the backside of the card front with paper to hide the brad prongs.
For the Card Inside:
- Cover the card inside with deep orange textured paper. Glue lime grosgrain ribbon even with the right edge of the card inside, trimming the excess even with the top and bottom edges of the card. Place the “Happy Birthday to You!” border overlay over the ribbon length. Punch a hole over each “o” in the word “to”, then insert mini brads in the holes to secure the overlay over the ribbon length.
- Glue the gift package overlay over ivory glimmer paper and trim the paper even with the edges of the overlay. Mat on black glimmer paper, trimming the top, left and bottom edges to 1/16" and the right edge to 1/2". Fold over the right edge of the mat until it meets the edge of the overlay. Staple the loose ends of a folded 1 1/2" length of lime grosgrain ribbon behind the folded edge of the mat, then glue over the top portion of the card inside. Use mini brads to attach the “gift” fragment overlay centered below the gift package overlay.
A Tip From Shauna:
To attach clear overlays without the adhesive showing through, simply apply a small amount of glue stick behind the darkest printed areas of the overlay–the opaque printing will help hide the adhesive. For this birthday card, I bypassed the adhesive altogether and attached most of my overlays with mini brads (and staples work great, too!). When I really need to add adhesive behind a clear area, I love the transparency of Vellum Glue Dots™.
Questions? Email us!
This Page To A Friend
If you no longer wish to receive the Layouts With Pizazz newsletter,
please let us know by clicking
Click here to view past Layouts With Pizazz.
here for a printable copy (requires Adobe
© 2007 Hot Off the Press
1250 NW Third Avenue, Canby, OR 97013