Project comments (0)
| Write a comment
Great Big Brads & Rub-Ons
|Paper Wishes Weekly Webisodes
||Free classes with Paper Wishes Webisodes. Watch every Wednesday for new tips, tricks and techniques!
About the Layouts
Technique: Great Big Brads & Rub-Ons
Designer: LeNae Gerig
Dad & Lauren
By LeNae Gerig
Basic black and white Great Big Brads add just the right amount of dimension to this sweet layout. LeNae customized three black brads with alphabet rub-ons for a personalized page title, then added patterned rub-ons to two white brads, coordinating them perfectly with the papers used throughout the layout. She used one patterned brad to replace the letter "o" on the "love" overlay and the other to attach a chic silk flower!
- Use the ivory linen paper as the background. Cut a 12"x3/4" strip of black/ivory stripe paper and glue it even with the top edge of the page.
- Cut out the smile border overlay. Turn the border over and use a pink Permapaque pen to accent some of the words on the border (Tip: Apply the pen to the back of the overlay so you dont cover up any of the printing with the opaque ink). Lay the border across the top of the page, just under the striped paper strip. Cut a 12"x3/8" strip of black glimmer paper. Lay the glimmer paper over the seam between the striped paper strip and the overlay, then add one pink mini brad to each end of the glimmer paper strip to secure the paper strip and the overlay to the page.
- Mat a 5"x7" vertical photo on pink cardstock, trimming the mat to 1/16". Computer journal the year onto white cardstock, then crop into a small rectangle and ink the edges. Glue the journaling behind the top left side of the photo mat to create a tab. Mat the photo again on black/ivory polka dot paper, trimming the mat to 1/2". Glue the photo 1" from the left edge and 1/4" from the bottom of the page.
- Glue a 6 1/2"x1/2" strip of black/ivory stripe paper across the bottom of the photo, then add one pink brad to each end. Add a patterned rub-on to a white Great Big Brad. Add the brad to the center of one small pink silk flower, then use foam tape to secure the flower over the left end of the paper strip. Cut out the sweet word fragment overlay and glue it over the right side of the paper strip.
- Computer journal onto white cardstock, leaving a small space within the journaling to add overlay artwork. Crop the journaling to a vertical rectangle with 1 1/2" of blank space above the journaling and 2 1/2" of space below, then ink the edges. Glue the journaling over the right side of the page.
- Cut a 1/2"-wide strip of black/ivory stripe paper that is about 1/2" longer than the width of the journaling block. Glue the strip centered over the space above the journaling and add one pink mini brad to each end. Add ABC rub-ons to spell "dad" on three black Great Big Brads, then add the series of brads over the paper strip.
- Cut out the "love" overlay and lay it over the bottom of the journaling block, then add one pink mini brad to the center of the flower to secure the overlay in place. Add a polka dot patterned rub-on to a white Great Big Brad, then add the brad over the letter "o" in the word "love". Cut out the flower overlay and lay it over the space in the journaling, adding one pink mini brad to the center of the flower to secure the overlay in place.
Time for Cake
By LeNae Gerig
LeNae jazzed up the left side of this page with a cluster of shiny Great Big Brads, a slide mount, ribbon and colorful birthday-themed artwork. She customized the brads with artwork cut-outs and words rub-ons, then added even more flair to the brads by inking the edges! Here's a simple tip for inking the edges of Great Big Brads: Place your ink pad on a flat surface and hold the brad by the prongs. Press the edge of the brad onto the ink pad, then roll the brad across the ink pad until all the edges are covered with ink. Don't forget to use an ink pad made for non-porous surfaces, like a StazOn, and make sure you let the ink fully dry before adding the brad to your project.
- Use the bright stripes/numbers paper as the background. Mat a vertical photo on black cardstock, trimming the mat to 1/8". Glue the photo over the striped portion of the background. Glue the "celebration" overlay across the bottom of the page, overlapping the bottom of the photo.
Cover one circular slide mount with bright stripes paper. Mat the slide mount on black cardstock, trimming the mat to 1/16". Ink the edges of a silver brad and glue the "time for cake" artwork to the top, then add the brad to the window of the slide mount. Glue the slide mount at an angle over the left side of the page. Tie a 6" length of black grosgrain ribbon into a shoestring bow, then Zot the bow to the top of the slide mount. Use foam tape to add artwork at varying angles above and below the slide mount.
- Ink the edges of a silver and a gold Great Big Brad and add the "celebrate" and "birthday" word rub-ons to the top of the brads. Add the brads throughout the cluster of artwork on the left side of the page.
Add colorful, customized brads to all your upcoming projects with Great Big Brads and Rub-Ons! Check out all 9 versatile colors of brads and all 6 styles of rub-ons here.