Project comments (0)
| Write a comment
Fold-It Swirls Punches
|Paper Wishes Weekly Webisodes
||Free classes with Paper Wishes Webisodes. Watch every Wednesday for new tips, tricks and techniques!
About the Cards
Technique: Fold-It Swirls Punches
Designer: Susan Cobb
Fold-It Swirls shapes add a unique, personalized touch to your 12"x12" and 8"x8" scrapbook pages, handmade cards, sarabinders and more. And Fold-It Swirls Punches make it quick and easy to add as many fun, folded shapes as you like! Keep reading to see how Susan used two new Fold-It Swirls Punches to add sweet floral shapes to her latest mini album page and card design.
By Susan Cobb
My favorite part about the new Fold-It Swirls Punches? asks Susan. Theyre so versatile! I love that theyre perfectly sized for use on any project: They make a strong statement on my 12" scrapbook layouts, but they dont overwhelm my smaller projects like this 8"x8" album page. I used the 6-Petal Fold-It Swirls Punch to create two folded flowers for a border down the left side of the page. To make sure each of the petals stands out, I recommend inking or chalking the edges of the punched patterns before folding into shape. Another tip? I attached each of the flowers to my page with standard round brads. The brads make sure all the petals stay folded in place while adding color and dimension to the layout.
- Use the pink/brown/blue stripe paper as the background with the stripes running vertically. Mat a 4" square photo on light blue textured paper, trim the mat to 1/8" and ink the edges black. Computer journal the year onto pink textured paper, then crop to a small rectangle with 1/4" extra space above the journaling. Ink the edges of the journaling and glue vertically behind the bottom right edge of the photo mat. Glue the matted photo in the top right corner of the page.
- Computer journal onto pink textured paper, crop to a horizontal rectangle and ink the edges. Glue in the bottom right corner of the page, centered under the photo. Cut out the Sweet Memories ribbon fragment, ink the edges and glue between the photo and the journaling.
- Punch two 6-petal flower patterns out of pink textured paper, ink the edges and fold into shape. Use brown brads in the center of the flowers to secure one flower in the top left and one in the bottom left corners. Computer journal or use a black pen to journal the names on the light blue textured tag. Ink the edges of the tag and glue between the two punched flowers.
By Susan Cobb
Fold-It Swirls Punches make it easy to create customized accents that totally coordinate with your projects, Susan says. Rather than hunting all over town for the perfect embellishment to match my project, I just use Fold-It Swirls Punches to create accents out of my choice of coordinating paper. And theres still plenty of room for personalization! On the front of this citrus Celebrate! card, I used the Rose Fold-It Swirls Punch to create a coordinating accent, chalking the edges with bright orange so each of the petals are noticeable. Before folding the pattern into shape, I lined the inside back with a piece of orange paper, creating a coordinating floral center when the shape is folded.
For the Card Front:
- Turn the card so the fold is at the top. Cut a 2 1/2" wide strip of lime textured paper and glue it over the top half of the card front, trimming the excess even with the edges of the card. Cover the bottom half of the card front with yellow/lime stripe paper with the stripes running vertically, then trim the excess paper even with the edges of the card. Cut a 3/4" wide strip of orange splotches paper and glue it over the seam between the lime textured and yellow lime stripe papers. Trim the excess even with the edges of the card, then add one yellow brad to each end of the orange splotches strip. Cut a 1/2" wide strip of yellow/lime stripe paper and glue it at an angle across the top left corner of the card front, trimming the excess even with the card edges.
- Crop the quote to a horizontal rectangle. Mat on deep yellow textured paper, trim the mat to 1/8" and chalk the edges orange. Glue the matted quote centered over the orange splotches paper strip.
- Punch one rose pattern out of deep yellow textured paper and chalk the edges orange. Cut a square of orange splotches paper and glue it to the square in the center of the rose pattern, then fold the pattern into shape. Glue the folded rose above the top right edge of the quote.
For the Card Inside:
- Cut a 1" wide strip of yellow/lime stripe paper with the stripes running widthwise. Mat on orange splotches paper, trimming the mat to 1/8". Glue the matted strip centered across the inside of the card.
- Crop the quote and accent the star with orange decorating chalk. Mat the quote on deep yellow textured paper, trim the mat to 1/8" and chalk the edges orange. Glue centered on the inside of the card.
Take a look at all 5 fabulous new Fold-It Swirls Punch shapes right here! And for more great folding patterns, dont forget to check out the Paper Pizazz Fold-It Swirls Template.