Love is in the air! Celebrate the month of February with a special layout dedicated to love and Valentine's Day.
About this Page
For this Valentine-themed layout, LeNae chose a less traditional color scheme made up of various shades of brown mixed with burgundy and black. She started with a bordered paper from Masculine sarapapers™ as the background, matting her photos on shimmery glimmer paper from the same collection. She surrounded the photos with quick and easy embellishments like silk flowers and big brads (topped with adorable rub-ons!) from the coordinating Masculine Embellish-abilities™ kit.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month
Repeating similar colors, shapes and imagery throughout your pages will help to balance your layouts, letting the viewer's eye flow easily from one portion of a page to the next.
For this Valentine layout, I started with color, repeating the same colors throughout the page to unify the layout. I looked at the deep red of Ben's shirt and the golden brown color of Keri's hair to come up with the burgundy and brown color scheme, then chose papers and embellishments in the same colors. Coordinating sets of papers and embellishments like sarapapers™ and Embellish-abilities™ make it super simple to keep the same color scheme running throughout the layout.
Next, I looked at the shapes. See how the various squares that make up the background paper border all have rounded corners and are overlapping each other? I repeated the look by rounding the corners of my photos and photo mats, then overlapped them on the page. The coordinating tag and the rounded tips of the silk flower petals also help to repeat the rounded corner look.Repetition is one of the easiest ways to tie together all the components of your scrapbook pages. Just look at the most simple, basic elements like color and shape.
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
- Place the tan paper with the squares border running along the bottom. Round the corners of a 4"x6" and a 5"x7" photo, then mat each photo on black glimmer paper. Trim the mats to 1/8" and round the corners of each. Computer journal onto burgundy textured paper, ink the edges and glue behind the top edge of the 5"x7" photo. Glue the photos in the center of the page with the smaller photo on the left, overlapping the larger photo.
- Add the “2-gether” rub-on to the top of a burgundy big brad. Use the brad to attach a large rust silk flower in the top right corner of the larger photo. Add the heart-shaped “love” rub-on to the top of another burgundy big brad. Layer a small rust silk flower on top of a large burgundy flower and use the brad to attach the layered flowers below the smaller photo.
- Add the “sweet” rub-on to the top of a rust big brad. Knot the ends of a short length of embroidery floss, wrap the loop around the brad prongs (just under the top of the brad) and insert the brad into the center of the small burgundy flower. Use the brad to attach the flower to the left of the layered flowers. Add the “true” and “love” rub-ons to the small brown tag, then add a black mini brad to the tab. Attach the tag at an angle over the left end of the page border, then wrap the embroidery floss loop around the brad in the tag's tab.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- Paper Pizazz® Masculine sarapapers™: Tan with squares border, burgundy textured and black glimmer papers plus tag cut-out
- Paper Pizazz® Masculine Embellish-abilities™: Rust silk flowers, burgundy silk flowers, rust big brad, burgundy big brads, black mini brad
- Words Rub-Ons
- ivory embroidery floss
- black ink pad
- corner rounder punch
- foam tape
- glue stick