The First Signs of Spring
Spring is such a fresh time of year – the sky is blue again, flowers are blooming and it’s time to get outside! I couldn’t think of a better way to display my spring photos than with pastel colors and a few embellishments that really make my page pop!
About this Page
LeNae selected a lime green textured paper and green vine patterned paper to use in the background, then layered pastel stripe paper and spring-themed cut-outs on top. She matted the photos on solid white cardstock and pink textured paper and wrapped one photo with ribbon, adding bows and foam mounting tape for dimension. Finally, LeNae computer journaled onto white cardstock, then accented the title with purple chalk.
Patterned Paper Tip
These pastel hues and leafy patterns are perfect for LeNae’s spring-themed photos and cut-outs. By matting with a solid color, LeNae’s photos stand out from the patterned paper. LeNae used the same color scheme and paper patterns throughout the layout to give the page maximum impact and balance.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month: Adding Dimension to Your Layout
In this “The First Signs of Spring” layout, I added some drama to my photos by wrapping a ribbon length around the front and gluing the ends to the back of the photo. By making sure your ribbon is taut, it will stay in place without having to glue the ribbon directly onto your photo. Remember you don’t have to worry about tying bows onto the ribbon that you attached to your photo – you can tie a separate piece of ribbon into a bow and attach it on top of the tag with a Glue Dot™.
Another great product to use to make those flat objects look 3-D is Scotch® Brand Foam Mounting Tape . Foam mounting tape acts as an adhesive, but since it’s made of foam, it’s thicker than regular tape. Use it under your paper cut-outs to make them stand out from the page!
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
- Cut a 3” x 12” strip of green vines paper and glue it vertically down the left side of the green textured background paper. Cut a 1” x 12” strip of pastel stripe paper and glue it vertically over the top of the green vine paper, aligning it with the right edge.
- Cut out the dragonfly and butterfly cut-outs, leaving a thin white border around the edges. Evenly space the cut-outs along the pastel stripe paper strip and secure them using foam mounting tape.
- Glue a 5 1/2” length of lavender ribbon vertically down the right side of the horizontal photo. Wrap the ends around to the back and glue. Mat both photos with white cardstock, leaving a 1/16” wide border. Mat again with pink textured paper, leaving a 1/8” wide border.
- Cut out the small butterfly tag. Use an 8” ribbon length to tie a small shoestring bow and glue it to the top of the butterfly tag. Use foam mounting tape to adhere the tag over the ribbon strip as shown.
- Computer journal in a long, vertical rectangle and print onto white cardstock. Cut the cardstock into a rectangle, leaving 2 1/2” of space at the bottom. Cut a 3/4” strip of green vines paper and glue in the center of the blank space under your journaling. Trim the paper even with the cardstock sides. Mat the rectangle with pink textured paper, leaving a 1/8” wide border.
- Cut out the small dragonfly tag. Knot the center of the remaining ribbon length and glue the knot to the top of the tag. Glue the tag on top of the vine strip in the bottom right corner of your journaling. Apply purple chalk to the title of the page. Arrange and glue the photos and journaling to the page as shown.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- patterned Paper Pizazz® papers: pink and green textured, green vines and pastel stripe, tags and square cut-outs from Busy Scrapper's Solution for 4 Seasons Pages
- Paper Pizazz® cardstock: white cardstock from the Light Cardstock Collection
- Cardmaker’s™ Icy Rainbow Ribbons: 16” of 3/8” wide lavender grosgrain ribbon
- Decorating Chalks: purple
- Scotch® Brand Foam Mounting Tape
- Glue Dots™