Vacations are full of new experiences, one-of-a-kind stories, and, of course, tons of photographs! From the landscapes and landmarks to the events and the people you meet along the way, these photos tell the story of your travels.
Notice how you tend to bring home so many snapshots that most of your vacation layouts turn into double-page spreads...and you still have photos leftover that didn't make the cut? Using a couple creative techniques, I'll show how you can fit seven photos on just two pages, with room to spare!
About this Page
Matching papers from the Use 'Em for Anything Brights collection create an easy backdrop for this double-page spread. LeNae added her page title with a 12"x12" overlay, then added coordinating contrast to the opposite page with a photo-filled filmstrip overlay. She matted photos and a journaling block on white, blue and green cardstock and inked all the edges for continuity. She finished off the layout with scattering of blue, green and yellow silk flowers and a variety of brads.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month
When working on a double-page spread, coordination is key. This doesn't mean that your background papers have to match, but it does mean they should have similar color schemes or patterns. While I chose matching papers for this double-page spread, the real coordination comes from my other page elements: Overlays, silk flowers, brads and cardstock, not to mention the inked edges. While my elements are all laid out differently on each page, common colors, patterns, embellishments and techniques make it easy to tell that the pages go together.
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
For the Left Page:
- Place one sheet of blue/green/yellow striped paper with the stripes running horizontally. Place the Vacation Overlay over the striped paper with the printed border along the top. Add brads to the word “vacation” to hold the overlay in place. Mat a 7"x5" photo on light blue cardstock, trim the mat to 1/8" and ink the edges. Mat again on white cardstock, trimming the mat to 1/4".
- Computer journal onto white cardstock, leaving a little over 3/4" of blank space along the bottom edge. Ink the edges of a 3/4"-wide strip of light blue cardstock and glue it across the bottom of the journaling, trimming any excess even with the journaling edges. Ink the edges of the journaling, then mat on lime cardstock and trim the mat to 1/8". Glue the journaling across the bottom of the page. Add fish brads and mini brads to the both ends of the light blue strip.
- Glue the matted photo overlapping the top edge of the journaling. Use a yellow and a green brad to attach a 1 1/2" blue and yellow flower down the left edge of the photo.
For the Right Page:
- Place the other sheet of blue/green/yellow striped paper with the stripes running horizontally. Mat a vertical photo on light blue cardstock, leaving the left edge unglued. Trim the mat to 1/8" and ink the edges, then mat again on white cardstock and trim to 1/8". Computer journal the date onto white cardstock, crop to a small rectangle and ink the edges. Glue the date behind the unglued top left edge of the photo, then finish gluing the photo to the mat. Glue the photo over the left side of the striped background.
- Double-mat a second vertical photo on lime green, then white cardstock, trimming each mat to 1/8" and inking the edges of the lime mat. Glue the photo at an angle over the right side of the page. Layer a 1" blue flower on top of a 2 1/2" yellow flower. Attach the flowers between the two photos with a green mini brad.
- Cut one filmstrip off the overlay and glue a photo behind each open frame. Glue the filmstrip across the bottom of the page. Accent the edges of the filmstrip with green and blue mini brads, yellow and blue fish brads and a 1" green flower.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- Paper Pizazz® Use 'Em for Anything Bright Papers: Blue/green/yellow striped papers (2 sheets)
- Paper Pizazz® Vacation Overlay
- Paper Pizazz® Filmstrip Overlay
- Bright Flower Mix
- Bright Brad Mix
- yellow fish brads
- green fish brads
- cobalt fish brads
- white cardstock
- light blue cardstock
- lime green cardstock
- black ink pad
- 1/16" hole punch
- glue stick