Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! After a recent trip to the Portland Zoo with Lauren and her fellow 1st grade class, I ended up with some great shots of Lauren and I, and quite a stack of animal photos! I picked my three favorite photos to preserve the memories of my special trip with Lauren.
About this Page
LeNae combined papers and cut-outs from Masculine sarapapers™ with 3-D embellishments from Masculine Embellish-abilities™ to create this zoo layout. She placed one large photo on the right side of the page as the main focal, then added smaller photos, journaling and substantial embellishments down the left side and across the bottom of the page to balance the layout. She created continuity on the layout by visually connecting all her page elements with swirly doodles.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month
Swirls traced from the Swirly Doodles template help to visually connect your page elements and allow the viewer's eye to move easily throughout your layout. Rather than having my swirls float around my photos and journaling, I like to trace some swirls underneath the elements–a photo overlapping a swirl will create dimension on your page. To do this, I prepare my photos and journaling as I normally would, but I simply place them on my background paper rather than gluing them in place. Once I've determined where all the elements will lie, I'll bring in the template and start tracing swirls, removing the photos and journaling one at a time to trace the swirls underneath. After that, I'm ready to glue all the elements in place, overlapping the traced swirls.
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
- Place the brown paper with the leaf corner in the top right. Mat a vertical photo on blue glimmer paper, leaving the right edge unglued, and trim the mat to 1/8". Mat again on teal plaid paper, trim the mat to 3/8" and ink the edges. Computer journal the date in blue ink on white cardstock. Ink the edges of the date and glue behind the bottom right edge of the photo, then finish gluing the edge of the photo. Glue the photo over the right side of the page.
- Mat two 3"x2" photos on blue glimmer and trim the mats to 1/8". Computer journal onto white cardstock, mat on blue glimmer and trim to 1/8". Place (but don't glue) the photos and journaling down the left side of the page.
- Computer journal onto white cardstock, crop to a strip and ink the edges. Glue the right end even with the top right edge of the page and add a teal mini brad to the left end.
- Use a brown pen to trace shapes C, G and I from the template onto the background paper, removing the photos and journaling and tracing swirls underneath. Glue the elements in place, then foam tape the three leaf tile cut-outs over the edges of the photos and journaling.
- Layer a rust silk flower on top of a blue flower and use a brown square brad to attach the flowers in the bottom right corner of the large photo. Add a lion Brad Buddy™ to the right of the layered flowers. Use a brown square brad to attach a blue flower in the top right of the top photo on the left side of the page.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- Paper Pizazz® Masculine sarapapers™: Brown/leaf corner; teal plaid and blue glimmer papers
- Masculine Embellish-abilities™: Blue silk flowers, rust silk flower, brown painted square brads, teal mini brad
- Paper Pizazz® Swirly Doodles Template
- Zoo Brad Buddies™
- white cardstock
- brown pen
- brown ink pad
- foam tape
- glue stick