It’s that time of year for family reunions! Reunions are a great time to get together for an outdoor picnic and to catch up on what’s been happening in your loved ones’ lives. Family reunions are great events to scrap, too! You can display a group photo or even individual photos showcasing some special accomplishments.
About this Page
LeNae chose a yellow background with a paisley border, then used papers in coordinating colors to cover three slide mounts. She used the slide mounts to frame photos and journaling, accenting them with sliver heart-shaped clips. She cut her computer journaling into long strips and accented the journaling with ribbons and brads.
Patterned Paper Tip
Try experimenting with bordered papers! Just because a background paper has a border printed on it doesn’t mean the border has to run along one of the sides of the paper. Try arranging the background paper so the border runs along the top or bottom edges of the paper. Take advantage of the border! Either leave it untouched to use it as a space filler, or overlap elements onto the border to pull it into the rest of the page.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month:
Using slide mounts as frames on your scrapbook pages adds interest and dimension that you just can’t get from simple matted photos. When covering the slide mounts with a paper that’s similar in color to the background paper, adding a mat in a secondary color will provide contrast and allow the slide mount to stand out on the page. Cropping your photos to fit into slide mount frames will also help you fit a lot of photos on your layouts without overcrowding your pages.
Wondering just how to cover a slide mount with patterned paper? It’s so easy—here’s how:
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
- Use the yellow with paisley border paper as the background. Cover 2 super-size slide mounts with yellow dotted paper. Frame one photo each with the covered slide mounts, trimming the photo even with the edges of the slide mount. Mat the slide mounts on lime texture paper and trim the mats to 1/8”. Add one silver heart clip to the top of each matted slide mount.
- Mat the photo on ivory cardstock, trimming the mat to 1/16”. Mat again on lime texture paper, trimming the mat to 1/4”. Secure the matted photo and slide mounts on the page, as shown, with a glue stick.
- Cut out the dotted border tag from the artwork. Using a glue stick, glue the tag in the lower left corner of the large photo. Cover one standard slide mount with green dotted paper. Computer journal the page title onto ivory cardstock. Frame the page title with the covered slide mount, then mat on blue glimmer paper, trimming the mat to 1/16”. Attach the matted slide mount to the tag with a glue stick.
- Computer journal onto ivory cardstock, then cut into four long strips and ink the edges with black. Cut four 1 1/2” lengths of lime grosgrain ribbon. Fold each ribbon in half, then attach one to each of the journaling strips with a pewter brad. Attach three journaling strips to the page, as shown, using a glue stick. Secure the date on the right side of the ribbon border on the background paper with foam mounting tape.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- Paper Pizazz® Retro sarapapers™: Yellow with paisley border paper, yellow dotted paper, green dotted paper, lime texture paper, blue glimmer paper and tag artwork
- Paper Pizazz® Ivory Cardstock from the Light Cardstock Collection
- Slide Mount Mania Super-Size Slide Mounts
- Slide Mount Mania Standard Slide Mount
- Cardmaker’s™ Citrus Ribbons
- Cardmaker’s™ Antique & Pewter Mini Brads
- Cardmaker’s™ Heart Clips
- graphite black Brilliance™ ink pad
- 1/16” hole punch
- X-acto® knife, cutting mat