Will & Ben
Accent a sweet toddler layout with playful colors and simple block shapes! Neutral colors like orange and green are great for both little boy and girl pages, and repetitive block shapes on the patterned paper and in the shape of the slide mounts add visual balance to the page. This layout would be great for any pair of siblings, showcasing photos of the two together and focusing on each child individually in their own special slide mount frame.
About this Page
LeNae turned to Busy Scrapper’s Solution Boys: Baby & Toddler Papers for the coordinating papers and artwork found on this sweet little boy layout. She used two different papers on four slide mounts to frame photos and artwork, accenting them with knotted ribbons and bright brads. She matted her photos on solid papers so they stand out on top of the patterned background paper, then used foam mounting tape to create dimensional ribbon fragments on top of the photos. Finally, LeNae computer journaled onto solid cardstock and topped off the journaling with another piece of striped ribbon.
Patterned Paper Tip
When pairing a light-colored, patterned background paper with light-colored mats and accents, sometimes it can be difficult to make sure the elements stand out on top of the background paper. To define the edges of your page elements, try running a dark ink pad, like a neutral black or brown, around your mats, accents and journaling to make them visible on top of the background paper.
LeNae’s Tip of the Month
Not only does inking the edges of your page elements allow them to stand out on top of your background papers, but it also adds depth and texture to your layout. To ink the edges of your papers, simply hold your ink pad in one hand and your paper in the other, then move the edge of the paper along the surface of the ink pad. Please change to: Be sure to test your ink pad on scrap paper first—some ink pads are "juicier" than others. Start with a hight touch, then add more if desired.
LeNae’s Steps to Making this Layout:
- Use the orange with block border paper as the background, orienting the paper so the border runs down the left side. Mat the two large photos on ivory cardstock, trimming the mats to 1/16” and inking the edges with black. Mat both photos again on green textured paper, trimming the mats to 1/8” and inking the edges with black. Use a glue stick to adhere the vertical photo in the top left corner of the page, just to the right of the border, and the horizontal photo in the bottom right corner of the page. Cut out the “Delight” ribbon fragment from the artwork and use foam mounting tape to secure it in the top left corner of the vertical photo. Cut out the “Hugs” ribbon fragment and use foam mounting tape to secure it in the top right corner of the horizontal photo.
- Cover two standard slide mounts with yellow striped paper (see the sidebar to the right for instructions) and ink the edges with black. Cut out the “play” and dump truck artwork and glue one to the back of each of the covered slide mounts, framing the artwork in the window of the slide mount. Cut out the “Smile” ribbon fragment and use foam mounting tape to secure it across the bottom of the “play” slide mount. Cut out the “Giggle” ribbon fragment and secure it across the bottom of the dump truck slide mount.
- Cover two jumbo slide mounts with green textured paper and ink the edges with black. Cut two 2 1/2” lengths of blue and white striped ribbon and tie one length around the bottom left corner of each of the slide mounts, then trim the tails at an angle to prevent fraying. Frame one photo in each of the windows, trimming the photos evenly with the edges of the slide mounts. Punch two holes vertically down the top right edge of each of the slide mounts, then add one orange and one green mini brad to the slide mounts by inserting the brads into the punched holes. Attach all four slide mounts in the top right corner of the page, as shown. Use a glue stick to attach the green slide mounts and attach the yellow slide mounts with foam mounting tape for dimension.
- Computer journal onto ivory cardstock, then crop and ink the edges with black. Mat on green textured paper, trimming the mat to 1/16” and glue in the bottom left corner of the page, just to the right of the border. Cut a 2” length of blue and white striped ribbon and fold it in half, then use an orange mini brad to secure the folded end in the bottom right corner of the journaling so the tails of the ribbon hang downward.
LeNae’s Supplies for Making this Layout:
- Busy Scrapper’s Solution Boys: Baby & Toddler Papers: Orange with block border, yellow striped and green textured papers and artwork
- Slide Mount Mania™ Standard Slide Mounts
- Slide Mount Mania™ Jumbo Slide Mounts
- Attachments™ Boy Ribbons : Blue and white striped ribbon
- tropical mini brads
- ivory cardstock)
- black ink pad
- 1/16” hole punch
- X-acto® knife, cutting mat
- Scotch® Brand Foam Mounting Tape
- glue stick
LeNae Gerig’s realistic approach to scrapbooking has made her popular with beginners and experts alike! Want to see more of LeNae’s layouts, along with new techniques and unique tips? Check out LeNae’s Scrapbooking Basics and LeNae’s 30-Minute Scrapbook Pages.