Brads make an easy and inexpensive addition to your scrapbook pages. They come in all colors and shapes and can be used on everything from accenting borders and journaling to creating your own design, like the lei I created here.
When securing brads to the monogram I used a 1/16” wide hole punch. The smaller the punch size the better. If the hole is too large your brad head will slip right through.
If you are securing to the background paper, like the lei, simply push the brads though the single layer of paper. However, if you are securing through multiple layers of paper, as I did with the journaling rectangle, use an X-acto knife to make a small slit in the layers of paper before inserting the brad.
To make the brad heads lay flat against the paper, push the brad head down with your thumb after securing the prongs at the back.
Designer: LeNae Gerig
- Use Em For Anything Citrus Papers
- Citrus Creative Kit
- Citrus Monograms
- Citrus Ribbons
- Foam tape
- 1/16” wide hole punch
- Fine point black pen
- White cardstock
- Sanding block
- Place the border at the bottom. Alternate small silk flowers secured to the border with mini brads, and standard brads between the flowers.
- Mat the 5”x7” photo with white cardstock, leaving a 1/16” wide border. Mat again with orange swirl paper, leaving a ½” wide border. Glue to the right side of the page, at an angle. Lightly sand the edges of the monogram and embellish with 2 mini brads and a length of ribbon knotted around the letter. Foam tape the monogram to the bottom right corner of the photo.
- Use the pen to draw a loopy oval around the top left corner of the photo, extending from under the photo mat edges. Secure flower shaped brads and standard brads along the black line to create a flower lei.
- Journal on white paper and crop into a 3 ½”x4” rectangle. Glue ¼” wide strips of striped paper at the top and bottom edge. Glue the journaling to the left of the photo. Embellish the top strip with a large pink flower, secured with a blue flower brad. Secure 2 blue mini brads to the right.