By Susan Cobb
To create this beautiful botanical card, Susan used a "stamping off" technique, stamping the same image in a variety of darker and lighter shades side-by-side. The variance in pressure and the amount of ink creates a focal with depth and interest. Susan added delicate little butterfly brads for dimension and to help set the garden theme.
- Use 'Em For Anything Pastel papers
- Butterfly Decorated Brads
- Botanicals Acrylic Stamp Set
- Acrylic Block
- Cardmaker's Icy Rainbow Ribbons
- Versafine™ Archival Instant Dry Pigment Ink in Imperial Purple (Tsukineko)
- Black pen or computer printer
- 5" x 6 1/2" blank white card
- X-acto® knife, cutting mat
- Font: English 157 BT 28pt and 26pt
- Small Zots™
- Using the second sheet of blue/green/lavender color-blocked paper from the book, trim away the pale yellow edge. Turn the paper so the lavender block is at the left and the green block is at the bottom. Cut a 5" x 6 1/2" rectangle, utilizing the purple/green/blue sections of the paper.
- Ink the stamp and press the stamp near the center of the rectangle so it overlaps the 3 colors of the paper. Without re-inking, firmly stamp another image to the left of the first, slightly overlapping it. Ink the stamp again, then press firmly to a piece of scrap paper. Stamp again with light pressure, to the right of the first image. Re-ink the stamp, stamp on scrap paper, then stamp to the right of the lightest image, so the image just catches the right edge of the paper.
- Add butterfly brads among the stamped flower images and glue the paper to the card front. Ink edges of the card. Glue a 5 1/2” piece of pink grosgrain ribbon across the card, about 1/4” from the bottom, then attach a small piece of knotted ribbon with a Zot™. Write or print “Thank you” on a portion of the remaining green section of the paper, trim to a rectangle and ink the edges. Glue to the top left of the card front.
- Inside: Cut a 3 1/2" x 1 5/8" rectangle of lavender/blue from the remaining paper. Place the rectangle on scrap paper and stamp the top portion of the flower stamp on the right side of the rectangle. Ink the edges. Write or journal “For all you do” on a portion of the remaining blue paper and ink the edges. Glue to the left side of the stamped paper and then attach a butterfly brad over the top right corner of the sentiment. Add a folded piece of ribbon behind the left edge of the stamped paper to create a tab and glue centered to the card inside.