By Laura Nicholas
These close-up photos of Emily are striking. What better way to scrap them than with a similarly striking layout? Laura selected a dark blue paper with thin stripes as her background, but featured the photos on mats of light blue, then red and green to make them “pop” off the page.
The bold barcode stamping at the bottom of the light blue mat creates continuity with the striped background and leads the eye right into the name and date journaled in the corner. More barcode stamping in a horizontal direction guides the eye from the right of the page into the design while stamped bold dots create an outstanding embellishment and keep the red flower from getting lost in the mat.
- Bold Patterns Acrylic Stamps
- 2”x6” Acrylic Block
- Bright Use ‘Em for Anything Papers
- Bright Silk Flowers
- Bright Brads Pack
- Cardmaker’s Classic Ribbons
- Tuxedo Great Big Brads™
- black inkpad
- Foam Tape
- Craft knife, cutting mat
- Mat a 5”x7” and 3 1/2” x 5” photo on black cardstock and trim to 1/16”. Cut a 5 1/2” x 8 1/4” piece of light blue textured paper. Print the name and date in the bottom right corner, then place a small rectangle of scrap paper over the name and date to mask (cover) it. Place the blue textured paper on a piece of scrap paper and beginning at the left edge, stamp the barcode stamp along the bottom. Match up the stamp to complete the stamping across the bottom.
- Cut an 8”x8” piece of red paper and ink the edges. Glue the 5”x7” photo centered on the light blue mat, leaving the bottom left unglued. Use foam tape to attach the mat centered, 3/8” from the left edge of the red paper. Fold over a 1” length of black grosgrain ribbon and glue behind the left bottom of the large photo. Finish gluing down the photo.
- Cut an 8 3/8” x 9 3/8” piece of green paper and ink the edges. Glue about 1” from the left edge of the striped paper background. Glue the red mat 5/16” from the left edge of the green paper. Glue the smaller photo 1/4” from the bottom of the red paper and 1” from the right edge of the page.
- Cut a 3” x 1 1/4” strip of light blue textured paper, place on scrap paper and stamp the barcode stamp horizontally across the end. Ink the edges and with the barcode at the right, glue even with the right side of the background, 2 3/4” from the top of the page.
- Place a large red silk flower on scrap paper and use the dots stamp to stamp repeatedly across the flower. Secure over the end of the light blue textured strip with a black Great Big Brad™.
- Tie small bow of black grosgrain ribbon and adhere to the bottom right of the silk flower with Zots™.
- Print descriptive words onto light blue textured paper and trim to rectangles. Ink the edges, then use a craft knife to make holes to attach to the photos with mini brads.
- Add three green mini brads at the top of the red mat and two green mini brads next to the bottom right of the small photo as shown.