By Susan Cobb
Susan’s festive holiday card features a simple design that’s easily adaptable to different background papers—it’s perfect for creating multiples during the busy card-giving season!
“When doing Christmas cards in batches, I like to use the same card format and stamps, but combine them with different background papers,” Susan says, adding that she typically chooses subtle background papers like this pretty holly design. “Of course, when adding stamped images to a patterned background, be sure to mat the stamped pieces so they stand out from the pattern. It adds a visual “frame” so the images stand out.”
- Cardmaker's Christmas Creative Pack
- Christmas Creative Kit
- Cardmaker's Christmas Ribbons
- Christmas Art Stamp Set
- Acrylic block
- white cardstock
- Versafine™ Archival Instant dry pigment ink pad in: Crimson Red, Olympia Green
- 5" x 6 1/2" blank white card
- craft knife, cutting mat
- foam tape
- small Zots™
- clear tape
- Cut a 4 7/8" x 6 3/8" rectangle of holly paper. Use Zots™ to attach the ribbon horizontally across the center of the holly paper, securing the ends to the back of the paper with tape. Glue the holly paper centered on the card front.
- Ink the edges of the card red. Tie a bow and Zot™ it to the center of the ribbon strip. Cut four 1 1/4" squares of white cardstock and heavily ink the edges red. Mat each on red glimmer paper. Stamp images and words on each square, then decorate with mini brads. Attach to the card front with foam tape, evenly spaced above and below the ribbon. Note: To stamp the two presents overlapping, you’ll need to do a technique called masking. Here’s how: First stamp the red present, then stamp the image again on a scrap of cardstock. Cut the image out, trimming closely at the left side and top left corner of the present. Lay the image directly over the first present you stamped to “mask” the image. Now stamp the green present next to the red present, overlapping the masking image. Remove the mask.
- For the card inside: Glue a 1 1/2"x5" strip of holly paper across the inside of the card. Cut a 2 1/2" square of white cardstock, ink the edges red and mat on red glimmer paper. Stamp the center with green ink and decorate with red mini brads. Glue centered over the holly paper and add a knotted ribbon