Designer’s Tip: I created a tri-panel card that shows 3 versions of this cute little turtle! After stamping the turtle, bird, and flower images on contrasting patterned papers, I cut out the shapes and foam taped them to the card for a dimensional look. The turtle shell on the inside was created with green honeyPOP paper--it opens and closes with the card.
- Trim each blank card to a 5” square. Place the first card with the fold at the left, then open the card. Place the second card with the fold at the right, then glue the back of the card to the inside (right panel) of the first card. You should now have 3 panels to your card. With the card open, trim the right edge of the right panel 1/8”. To close the card, fold the right panel in, then fold the left panel over it.
- Cover the card front with green burlap paper and ink the edges black. Ink the edges of a 4 1/2" yellow/pink/green words paper with black ink and glue centered to the card front. Cut a 4 1/2”x1 5/8” lime textured paper, ink the edges, and glue even with the bottom of the yellow words paper. Place a 4 1/2" length of light green mini rick rack across the top edge of the lime paper and glue ends to secure. Trim a 1 1/2" length of mini rick rack and glue across the upper right corner of the yellow paper.
- Stamp the large turtle shell image on lime textured paper and green burlap paper. Cut out the entire lime shape as one piece, then cut out the “spots” for the turtle shell from the green burlap paper and foam tape them to the lime shell, aligning them according to the stamped image. Glue centered on the lime paper on the card front. Stamp 3 flower stems/leaves and grass on the lime paper with black ink as shown. Stamp 4 flower blossoms onto pink textured paper with black ink. Cut them out and foam tape over the top of the stems. Foam tape the remaining blossom centered over the mini rick rack across the corner.
- Stamp “some-birdy wishes you...” on the small pink tag and mat on lime paper leaving a 1/16” border. Stamp two birds onto yellow textured paper and cut them out. Place the pink tag on scrap paper and stamp bird feet on the top edge of the tag. Glue the tag angled on the left side of the card front as shown. Foam tape one bird above the stamped feet on the tag as shown. Foam tape the second bird near the top edge of the grass and tuck it beneath the edge of rick rack.
- Paint in the birds’ beaks with Taffy Smooch ink. Paint in the centers of the flower blossoms with Sundance Smooch. Let dry. Knot a 3” length of lime/white gingham ribbon and Zot to the end of the tag.
- Cover the second panel with pink textured paper. Ink the edges black. Ink the edges of a 4 1/2"x4 1/4" yellow/pink/green words paper and glue centered on the pink panel, even with the right edge. Glue a 4 1/4" length of light green mini rick rack vertically to the left side as shown. Ink the edges of the green tag and glue horizontally to the left side of the yellow words paper.
- Stamp the “portrait” image of the turtle with bird on his head each on yellow textured paper, lime, green burlap, and pink textured paper. Cut around the pink image as one piece. Then carefully cut out the yellow bird with frame, the lime turtle head, and the green burlap shell. Foam tape the cut out pieces to the pink image. Glue overlapping the green tag as shown. Stamp a pink flower blossom and cut it out. Foam tape to the end of the tag. Paint in the bird’s beak with Taffy Smooch, and the flower center with Sundance Smooch. Zot lime/white ribbon as shown.
- Open the card to 3 panels. Cut two 5”x1 1/4" pieces of green burlap paper and glue even with the bottom of the center and right panels. Cut two 5” lengths of light green mini rick rack and glue across the top edge of each green burlap paper. Stamp “a turtally awesome day!” on the green label. Fold a 1” length of gingham ribbon and glue to the left end for a tab. Glue the label to the left side of the center panel as shown.
- Stamp the turtle head, legs and tail on lime textured paper. Cut out the head. Cut around the feet and tail, keeping them connected at the top in one piece. Glue the feet and tail centered on the fold between the center and right panels. Stamp the “half” turtle shell with the arrow parallel with the ribbed texture of the green honeyPOP paper, and the dotted line on the image even with the edge. Cut it out. Carefully open the shape and check placement over the legs and tail. Glue the head in place, then glue the honeyPOP shell in place over the fold.
- Stamp two birds on yellow textured paper and cut them out. Foam tape one on the turtle’s back and the other near the light green mini rick rack as shown. Stamp flower stems/leaves and grass on the green burlap paper. Stamp blossoms on pink paper and cut them out. Foam tape to the stems as shown. Paint in the bird’s beaks with Taffy Smooch and the flower centers with Sundance Smooch. Let dry. To close, fold in the right panel, then fold the left panel over it.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Cardmaker’s Citrus Creative Pack (link)
- Boutique Ribbons set—21” length of light green mini rick rack, 7” length of 3/8” wide lime green/white gingham ribbon (link)
- Two 5”x6 1/2" blank white cards (link)
- Turtle HoneyPOP Stamp set (link)
- Cool HoneyPOP Paper Pack—green HoneyPOP paper (link)
- Smooch Inks: Taffy (link) and Sundance (link)
- StazOn® Black ink pad (link)
- Zots™ adhesive dots (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue (link)
- Acrylic blocks (link)