Technique: Blending Inks on Color Me™ Card Toppers
There are several methods and tools for blending inks on paper and cardstock. I prefer to use cosmetic sponges because they're easy to find and use, and they're inexpensive. Simply dab the sponge onto the inkpad to pick up ink, then swirl it onto your paper. I start just off one edge, swirling the sponge onto the paper and working inward. To change colors, I ink a clean sponge and start swirling on an un-inked area, bringing it back over the edge of the first ink. I work the inks together, switching back and forth between both sponges, until there are no harsh edges.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. Place the Damask card topper on the craft sheet and follow the directions above to ink, beginning with guacamole at the upper right corner. Change to candied yam, then to red barn, and finish with candied yam at the lower left corner. Let dry, then glue to the front, leaving the lower half unglued.
- Cut a 6 1/2"x1 1/4" suede paper and punch one long edge. Mat on cardstock with a 1/16" border along the top edge and the bottom edge even with the scallops. Glue to the front, 3/4" from the bottom. Fold an 8" tulle ribbon in thirds and wrap across the front, overlapping the upper border edge. Glue the ends to the back, then glue the lower topper edges to the card.
- Cut out the 2" Damask blank label and ink with guacamole. Foam tape to the border, 1 1/8" from the left edge. Cut thin strips of suede paper and thread through three buttons: 1/2" peach, 1/2" green, and 3/4" peach. Use tape to secure to the card as shown.
- For the inside: Cut, punch, and mat another suede paper border as for the front. Glue next to the fold. Cut out the 2 3/8" Damask blank label and one Damask decoration. Place on the craft sheet, then ink the decoration red and the label green and rust. When completely dry, stamp “just because” on the label, then foam tape it as shown. Punch one edge of a 2"x2" suede paper, then trim to 1 3/8" long. Glue the decoration on it and glue to the inside as shown. Thread a 5/8" button with a suede strip and use tape to secure to the decoration.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Damask Ebony Color Me™ Card Toppers (link)
- Sienna Suede Paper (link)
- Black cardstock (link)
- Heartfelt Greetings stamp set (link)
- Green tulle ribbon (link)
- Cornucopia Button Mix (link)
- Fluid Chalk ink pads : Red Barn (link), Guacamole (link), Candied Yam (link)
- Dotty Border Geared punch (link)
- StazOn® Jet Black ink pad (link)
- ½" Ultra Clear tape (link)
- Cosmetic sponges
- Craft Sheet (link)
- Acrylic stamping block (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & matching envelope (link)