Designer's Tip: When using ribbon for your pattern strips you don’t have to fold the edges. Keep the ribbon strips straight when taping down, or the edges will look warped.
- Remove posts and sleeves from the album, set aside. Ink the front, back, spine and edges of album. Let dry. Close the album and place in front of you, with the binding on the left. Place a 6 3/8” square of vellum centered on the front cover. Line the edges of the vellum with straight lines Dazzles™.
- Cut a 3 1/4”x6 3/8” vellum and score 2 vertical lines, 1 1/8” from right and left edges. Place straight lines Dazzles™ around the edges of the right hand area of the vellum, up to and including the scored line. Place a 3 1/4”x7 1/2” blue gingham paper 1/8” from right edge, allowing ends to extend 1/2” past upper and lower edges. Place zig-zag Dazzles™ on left and right edges of gingham. Mountain fold the scored lines. Wrap around the binding and mark where the post holes will be on the front and the back, keeping gingham strip centered over front holes. Remove from the binding and use hole punch on the hole markings. Glue to binder, aligning holes, and fold gingham ends under the album cover. Replace posts and album sleeves.
- Cut a 6 1/4” square of quilt paper and use the “exquisite label” from the Design Toolkit to trace and cut out the edges. Ink the edges. Mat on white cardstock with a 1/16” border. Use the daisy window from the template to trace a daisy on center. Remove template, place on cutting mat, use the X-acto® knife to cut out the window and ink the inner edges. Turn your piece over and place the evacuated area over the iris-folding pattern on the template so the pattern is centered inside the daisy window, and secure with stencil tape.
- Cut ten 3 1/2” lengths of each of the following 5/8” wide pastel satin ribbons: blue, green, pink and ivory (no folding is required). Starting at the outer edge of the window, find the lowest number on the template (If the numbers are hidden behind window edges, build the design on all sides until you can see where the pieces overlap). Place your first blue ribbon satin side down over the lowest number on the “A” section, aligning one edge with the printed line on the template. Secure the ribbon ends with clear tape. Find the next highest number and tape a green ribbon in place over the “B” section. Tape your 3rd ribbon (pink) over the “C” section and your 4th (ivory) over the “D” section. Continue, following the numbers and taping the ribbons, stacking the same colors on top of each other.
- After taping the final ribbon, cut a 1 1/2” square of pink floral paper and tape over the center opening. Carefully remove the stencil tape and turn the piece over. Foam tape your iris-ribbon piece to the front of your album. Use wire cutters to cut the shank off the back of a 5/8” button and Zot™ to the center. Cut small dots from the dotted line Dazzles™ and place at each point around the daisy window.
- Use the iris folding template to trace and cut out a leaf accent from green paper. Ink the edges and mat on white with a 1/16” border. Place a “Daughter” Dazzle near the right end, and punch a hole at the stem end. Thread a looped scrap of ribbon through the hole and Zot™ onto the back. “Thread” a small button with line Dazzles™ and Zot™ onto the ribbon. Foam tape as shown.
- “Thread” six various sized buttons with line Dazzles™ and Zot™ on the upper left corner, as shown. “Thread” two more small buttons and Zot™ onto the posts.