Designer's Tip: When coloring an embossed image using alcohol-based pens, the embossed lines can tend to bleed or smear if you color over them too much. To avoid this, I colored very carefully with a light touch, trying to stay away from the lines. This technique seemed to work well. With Spectrum Noir pens, always practice coloring and blending on a scrap piece of white cardstock to test and confirm colors and blending technique.
- For the Front: Place the card with the fold at the top. Cover with black cardstock. Cut 6 1/4”x4 3/4” Rhapsody multi-stripe paper and glue centered.
- Cut 3 ¾”x2 1/8” of white cardstock. Stamp the girl image in the center with VersaMark™ and emboss with Black Embossing Powder. Mat the piece on black cardstock with a 1/16” border.
- Color the stamped image with the following colors. When possible, use the darker color first around the edges, then fill in with the lighter color, blending over the darker. Skin: Pale Hues Set, FS2 & FS3, with FS6 for cheeks. Hair: Browns Set, TN7 and TN8. Skirt & Bow: Reds Set, CR11. Cuffs, collar & shoes: Turquoises Set, BT7. Top & tights: Turquoises Set, BT2 & BT1. Shadow: Cool Grays Set, IG4, IG2, & IG1, only color as if light were coming from the left side (shadows on the right).
- Cut three curved label shapes out of orange paper using the cutting dies. Mat each on black cardstock with a 1/16” border. Glue one on the left and one on the right, going off the edge of the card, about 1” from the bottom of the card. Glue the third centered on the card.
- Take the whole (36”) length of the pink & black dot ribbon and tie a double knot with the ends, leaving about 1” ends. Place the knotted length of ribbon on the card with the knot about 1½” from the left. Trim the ribbon to the length of the card. Apply glue stick to the back of the ribbon and glue to the card, making sure to glue the ends down well so they won’t fray.
- Glue the image to the card ½” from the right and bottom. Cut a round scalloped shape from white cardstock using the dies. Emboss “Oops!” in the middle with Black Embossing Powder (use embossing pouch if desired). Color in with Spectrum Noir pens BT4 & BT2 from the Turquoises Set. Foam tape the circle in the center of the middle orange label shape.
- For the inside: Cover inside with teal floral paper. Cut 6½”x1½” white tiny floral paper and glue across the bottom. Use Tacky Glue to attach the narrow orange grosgrain ribbon across the top of the tiny floral strip. Trim excess.
- Cut a large long label from white cardstock using the cutting dies. Run the label through the die cutting machine again, this time with the smaller long label die positioned carefully in the center of the white label. This creates a frame. Place this frame on black cardstock, trace the opening with a pencil, and cut out, leaving a 1/8” space outside of that line. Stamp and emboss “Happy Birthday” from the Labels & Greetings Stamps in the center of the black piece. Glue to the card centered, 2” from the top.
- Stamp and emboss the glasses girl on red paper and cut around, leaving a 1/16” border. Do the same with the sunglasses girl on orange paper. Glue the red girl to the card overlapping the left side of the black piece. Glue the orange girl overlapping the right side. Finally, glue the white frame label centered over the “Happy Birthday.”